Maxwell’s Timecapsule Rogers

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by DrummerJustLikeDad, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Rich K.

Rich K. DFO Master

How come the front head doesn't have the large Rogers logo?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    JDA likes this.
  2. rstange1

rstange1 Well-Known Member

Won't last long at $2,500. What a beauty!!

3. rstange1

rstange1 Well-Known Member

4. slingerland 59 R/K snare

slingerland 59 R/K snare Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post. Some one is going to be lucky owner. I hope they enjoy them. A real classic.

DrummerJustLikeDad likes this.
  5. drummertom

drummertom DFO Veteran

Yeah, I’d have to set them up and play them!

6. Tama CW

Tama CW Very well Known Member

NOS by definition, but there are condition grades within NOS too. With some items already showing rust, it's probably also the case that the lugs and other chrome parts like tension rods show faint pitting/rust, and the wrap slightly mellowed, just from having lived 50+ years in the earths' atmosphere.

I'd play this one too if I owned it. Just preserve the heads. I might even go as far as playing it with a 2nd set of batter hoops, to prevent any degradation from wear and tear. Very cool kit. I don't see it listed on Reverb yet. But, at $2500 that's a fair deal....and certainly a better deal than a 50's PDP kit at $7K.

7. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

1) Steve could have played them with mallets just for the tone, or at least his hands a la others....just to tease us more!

2) More importantly, I wonder if those labels are simply stuck on, or if they are nailed on. I assume, either way, the wrap color is different underneath.....

8. Rockin' Billy

Rockin' Billy DFO Veteran

Maybe this is why he didn’t play them.(taken from context description)

“To me, the fact that this set hasn't been played and is in the same condition as it was when delivered 54 years ago makes me think that this should really be the cornerstone of a collection rather than a gigging kit. I think it is probably a very safe assumtion to say that you won't find another one.”

9. Drumbelly

Drumbelly DFO Veteran

10. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I honestly can't see the value in this. It most certainly is NOT "exactly as it was delivered 54 years ago" as claimed. It has frozen tone controls and there is mention of rust elsewhere. Maybe no one ever hit the heads, but so what? It is not a time machine. It's an old drum set. Also, the dealer badges are unsightly. Are they glued on, or nailed? What do the interiors look like?

And, that reso bass drum head appears to be a batter with that small logo.

Too many what ifs for me. If you want a player's kit, buy one at half the price. If you want a collector's kit, there are many out there that are perfect inside and out for less than this. And what kind of enthusiast or succeeding owner would care that you bought an unplayable drum set at a premium?

idrum4fun likes this.
  11. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

75CAB4C4-56F8-4298-8EFC-CD626BDCCFC3.jpeg In terms the wrap I’ve had plenty of wmp that look better than the Never been played model.

12. skinsman

skinsman DFO Master

Holy smokes! Bernie Zieglers music store in Aurora was the place of legends! He would only open the store back in the nineties with an appointment. I've been down there. He had at least twenty nos sets and at least 100 Gibsons Grestch and Fenders. He called it his retirement fund.
    The set that sticks with me are the Trixons egg base and the conical ones.
    He was a pretty eccentric guy way back then. I can't imagine he's lasted this long,must be an estate.
    He was asking way more than new prices for sixties gear in the nineties. I had to pass , but this dude was an icon in his own mind ans a real charachter. Right across the street was a pawn shop that I scored many deals from.....

jptrickster likes this.
  13. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

The main listing shows 20/12/14, then says 16 in the print. At first, I thought the price was right for a 14" FT. Still, it just takes one buyer and I love the set. I had a tall rim on a Powertone snare and it changed the rim shot angle significantly. Ace

14. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

That's weird - the link shows 14 but the title of the listing shows 16......

15. Powertone

Powertone DFO Veteran

Not a FT mystery, just a typo on Reverb. Steve’s site only says 16” and photos show a 16” FT.

16. pedro navahas

pedro navahas DFO Veteran

17. Way Out Wardell

Way Out Wardell Well-Known Member

Man, that and the Ludwig are cool. Can you imagine what the price would be if these were NOS guitars of the same era?

18. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    What I usually say about kits like this is that they shouldn't be played, since that will only reduce their value.

In this case however, the price of the kit is really not that high, especially considering that the maple Powertone snare is also included, a drum that could bring $750 by itself.

Remove all the original heads, rehead the drums with Ambassadors or whatever you like, and play them. Even gigs would be ok, as long as you were careful - and what Rogers guy wouldn't be? I wouldn't touch the hardware inside, though I would probably remove and service the tone controls and then put them back in.

At that price, the kit would retain almost all of it's value, as long as you keep them in near-mint condition.

imho....

pedro navahas likes this.
  19. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

I'm with tk1 on this! To me, condition and completeness is everything. That means that the parts you can't see, such as all interior attaching hardware, needs to be in like-new condition. This kit has none of that! Also, as stated, I knock off points, and dollar value, for the store badges that are attached to the shells. My avatar is my 1966 Headliner kit, which is in much better condition that Steve's kit. My kit even has period correct Rogers heads top and bottom on the toms and batter head on the bass. And, I paid about 1/3 less for my kit!

tommykat1 likes this.
  20. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

I have never seen a 60s Rogers drum that didn't have that grunge on the lug screws and washers. Ace