Multiple kits, do I sell one?????

Discussion in 'General' started by yyzt4e, Jan 9, 2019.

1. yyzt4e

yyzt4e Member

So, a question for everyone. Is it good to have multiple kits for different situations, like small clubs and or larger places. I have a Rogers Fullerton that I will never part with. 6pc Vision VSX with a 20 kick and a Starclassic Birch with a 22 kick. Usually only gig with a 4pc and the only difference is the kick size. One is a 22x18 and the other is 20x18 I bought the one with the smaller kick to be more compact but it’s not that much seeing the depth is the same. Not really saving much space for easy transport and with it being the older Visions the kick and floors are thicker and heavier than the Starclassics. I guess I could just use a 22, 10, 14 instead of a 22, 12, 16 and just have the main kit and be versatile for smaller places. Well, I guess I answered my own question but I would still like to hear your thoughts.

2. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the forum! Many of us here have multiple sets. Some like to collect, others just have a modest number. This past year, my modest number crept upward, but I am trying slim back down. You should own the drums that inspire you to play! For some people that's just one set, for you it might be 3 or 4. Only you can answer that.

yyzt4e likes this.
  3. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

Hahaha, some guys on here will tell you 12 isn't enough. Lol

If you like playing it and have the space keep it!

Disclaimer: I only have 2 kits.

4. audiochurch

audiochurch Very well Known Member

yes, sell one. i use 3 4-piece kits: one gigging kit always packed up, one kit for students, one kit for personal practice/recording.

if needed, i put 2 kits together for a bigger setup for school plays/theater and such.

supershifter2 likes this.
  5. paul

paul DFO Veteran

I have 7 toms and 2 kicks in my gigging drums, all the same color. I use a 2 up/2 down setup for most gigs, and the variety allows me to change drum sizes and tuning without having to retune the whole set. So I use 12/13/15/16/22 for rock and big band gigs, and 10/12/14/15/20 for small group jazz. I could probably reduce that to a single setup, but I frankly enjoy the difference. (for those keeping track, I also have an 8" tom, but havn't used it in years)

shuffle likes this.
  6. drumsforme

drumsforme Well-Known Member

Don't sell unless you absolutely don't like the sound, the look, or the construction of the kit. I have 16 great kits with the top of the line being a 2007 Gretsch USA Custom Shop 6 pc. and the bottom being a Tama Silverstar Birch and lots in the middle, in addition 4 vintage kits (2-Slingerland '65 & '76 and Gretsch '63 RB and a '74 SSB..... Love all of them. Don't sell !

yyzt4e likes this.
  7. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Currently at 11 so I’m a bad person to ask. Keep what you’re using. Believe it or not, if I’m not using a kit, it’s gone. And yes, I rotate all my kits.

8. bob

bob DFO Master

right now i have 4 , i have a 22'' and a 24'' rogers bass drum , a 13''x9 rogers , and a 16x16
    i have a ludwig set 22-13-16
    a camco set 12-16-24
    and a mixed set wmp ludwig bass 22x14 virgin
    12x8 rogers 360 tom 16x16 , 360 tom
    i would like to get rid of one of the sets .... i don't know which one though ....
    so if i were you , i would keep them all ...

9. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

Hahaha....you're asking the wrong crowd! :headbang:

multijd and markrocks68 like this.
  10. yyzt4e

yyzt4e Member

Ha, thats what its starting to sound like. I mean, I only have a few compared to most of you guys. Thanks for the replies

multijd likes this.
  11. Pimp-a-diddle

Pimp-a-diddle Very well Known Member

I'm looking ahead as I put my next kit together. My toms are going to be 10-12-14-16 with a 26" kick. On the rock side of things, I prefer a bigger bass drum and the 24" just wasn't enough of a jump from a 22" IMO. After I get that squared away, I'll look to add a smaller bass drum, probably an 18" to bridge that gap between bop and modern jazz/fusion.

12. RickP

RickP Guest

I went through the same dilemma as the OP. Decided to try and get down to a vintage kit (Slingerland) and a shellbank of Noble and Cooley Horizon drums .
    I have one kit ( the TRS) to complete my goal . These two kits can cover all my gigs easily .

13. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

Question: How and where do you keep 16 kits? do you have them setup or stored or how do you do it?
    I'd like to know because I too would love to collect. So far I'm starting to collect cymbals. In my case I have 1 kit but it's really big. I have a dedicated room in my house for my music but I can't see more than 2 kits set up in the room. My current set takes up a big chunk of the space already. By the way, I too am from South Florida but moved up to the center of the state about 4 years ago.

14. markrocks68

markrocks68 Very well Known Member

I have 36 kits currently and I too, am selling some of the ones I don't use often.
    But I'm replacing them with ones I will. All of them simple 4 piece sets.
    If you are going to sell, sell the ones you wont really miss.
    I happen to use them all & rotate them every gig.
    I played 116 gigs in 2018 so every kit gets multiple turns.
    And while I don't have a house, I have them on racks in my condo on MY side of the bedroom.
    Stacked neatly, in cases. Ready to gig.
    Every month I also rotate the kit in my living room.
    I also have a 24 hour access studio where I have 2 kits set up at all times and about 15 stored there.
    All this requires a very important element: a cool musician wife. :love3:
    And when we get a house, that's when the real fun begins with trap kits from the 20/30's.
    And I'll have my own studio FINALLY.
    I'm at my limit space wise hence WHY I am selling to make room for the final 2 bucket list kits I'm seeking.
    Living in the city is getting old to me so I'm heading to the country where there is more room not too far down the road.
    You can check some of them out here:
    https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/mark-markowitx-vintage-happiness/

lossforgain and yyzt4e like this.
  15. yyzt4e

yyzt4e Member

That is amazing, you have a very nice collection of gear. Some very beautiful stuff

markrocks68 likes this.
  16. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

36 kits? Wow!! That is amazing. I wish I could do that. And I have a house. I can't imagine having more than a couple of kits (which I do want to have more than a couple). All those kits you posted look awesome!

markrocks68 likes this.
  17. Marquisjohnson22

Marquisjohnson22 DFO Veteran

Short answer: No!
    Long answer: Are you kidding me? H*LL No! :laughing5:

18. Bandit

Bandit DFO Veteran

No.
    [​IMG]

sass and yyzt4e like this.
  19. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

Oh, I wish I had the money and the space! :headbang:

20. DrumR69

DrumR69 Very well Known Member

Bandit ,Nice setup. looks like a fun place to hang out for awhile.
    Wayne