I don't really want to alter the snare, it's a USA made so I didn't want to experiment on it. These are Catalinas that already had marred finishes, so I didn't really care too much if I ruined them. I'm not too worried about an exact match of the color, I'm cool with the color it's becoming. I think the style of the finish is starting match what I was looking for though. A satin clear coat will be the moment of truth. I think there's a combination of factors in play with these drum shells taking on color. First, maple is pretty hard. Second, the drums had finishes on them already, and even though I stripped and sanded, there are likely still remnants of the old finish deep inside the pores. Third, the shape of the drum shells does not lend itself to thick applications of dye/stain that you would ordinarily let sit on a flat surface and absorb. It wants to instantly run off. I think these shells just needed a lot more time in contact with the dye, in addition to letting some of the dye dry on the surface.