New at YouTube

Discussion in 'VIDEO FILES' started by beatsmith8, Jan 21, 2019.

1. beatsmith8

beatsmith8 Well-Known Member

Got a couple of cheap cameras, first shot at it today...

2. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

First time with the cameras? Man, that was a nice video with some cookin' chops, too. I like the camera angle, and look forward to your using the second camera to mix in another view. The sound quality was very good.

My only "criticism" of that video would be concerning your ride cymbal. Can't tell which cymbal that is (Sabian Big & Ugly????), but it just isn't cutting it in the mix. Waaaay too quiet and completely lost in the mix. Maybe try a more traditional ride?

Other than that, I'm looking forward to more videos. It's always fun to hear a (very) good drummer kickin' out some funky grooves. Excellent.

GeeDeeEmm

3. Hop

Hop DFO Veteran

Nice job! Only problem with videos is that you have to maintain a tidy appearance both the set and talent... no more jammin' in the jammies!!!

You mentioned that you got a couple of cameras... are you planning on doing multi-angle shoots in the future?

4. beatsmith8

Thanks for the nice words! The ride is a Istanbul Mehmet 61st anniversary ride, 22". It is very dry and not very loud. I probably need to spot mic it or raise it closer to overheads. I have a few more pingy, louder rides that are probably better for this type of playing. Will work on second and third cameras this week, but need to learn how to edit same in Shotcut. I'm decent on the audio side but video is all new to me. Thanks again!

5. beatsmith8

Hey, those are Adidas jogging pants (basically pajamas). Have you been talking to my wife? Are you my wife? Hahahaha

Going to try to figure out multi-angle in the short term. I have three of these cameras and an SLR. Need to learn how to edit video, though!

Thanks for the kind words. Don't get a chance to play out much any more with small kids and a law job, but love playing nonetheless.

6. Hop

Hop DFO Veteran

HA! No, actually I was thinking about my situation.
    I'd have to do some tidying up of my space and I was wearing my duck-print lounge pants (aka duck jammies)... so I don't think I'd be going anywhere near the camera!

I'll be curious to see how you evolve into multi-camera shooting... maybe worth posting an DIY article here on DFO???

7. beatsmith8

Hahaha got it. I’d probably post an article about small room drum recording before I ventured into video tutorials but let me try to figure it out and we’ll go from there!

Hop likes this.
  8. Drummers & Dragons

Drummers & Dragons Well-Known Member

Great job. Unique cymbals. Great camera angle. Is it up on a bookshelf on a clamp? I tried to get mine (cellphone) up high but then I couldn't see thru it. Also I bumped my head on the ceiling. Also I almost fell off the chair. But now I'm inspired to try again. Thanks!

9. beatsmith8

Thanks for the kind words. I have a ceiling cloud hanging (basically a bunch of owens corning 602 insulation in a wooden frame) and I clipped the camera to cloud structure using a 12" gooseneck clip from amazon. The clip has a thread for camera mount assembly on the end. Really handy, actually. I'm going to experiment with some additional/new angles this week/weekend...

Drummers & Dragons likes this.
  10. Drummers & Dragons

Drummers & Dragons Well-Known Member

Thanks! I don't have a drop ceiling, but I bet the clip might work on a top bookshelf.

11. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Great!

beatsmith8 likes this.
  12. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Super nice, looking forward to more!

beatsmith8 likes this.
  13. beatsmith8

Tried a new angle - prefer the old angle. Going to work on a multi angle vid next week!

Hop likes this.
  14. Hop

Hop DFO Veteran

That angle aint bad... it shows the playing motions pretty well and keeps you anonymous. I wouldn't rule this out as one potential angle in your multi-camera shoot.
    Nice job on the tune as well, playing was solid and the mix sounded nice. Do you produce your own loops to play along to?