New K Prototypes

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by fitzsy, Dec 12, 2018.

1. fitzsy

fitzsy Well-Known Member

4D5B42FA-737F-4CCF-89BD-83A679D76D16.jpeg Paul Francis is on a roll! I’ve used vintage Paiste SCDRs for a long time. I like a certain tension, pitch, and shoulder sound in rides from hearing all those Paul Motian records. But for a while I’ve wanted to replace those rides with a Zildjian cymbal that had those qualities, but that was a little lighter and warmer, easier on my bandmates sonically, and that had that “thing” that only Zildjians can give you. And I wanted to set aside the crutch of playing what my heroes played and take another step towards my own sound. Today Zildjian made that happen with this ridiculous 2400 gram prototype K Constantinople “multi” ride. A big bright distinct bell that is much less integrated than a regular K, great tension in the stick feel, a complex and distinctive shoulder sound, and then a very low pitched warm edge crash. Everything I loved in my old rides, a volume level that works much better for small groups and clubs, and that Z warmth that will make the sound blend with the other instruments. Just fantastic. They might as well have been inside my brain when they designed these. Sound files soon!

Fitzsy

2. scaramanga

scaramanga Very well Known Member

Big, less integrated bell you say? Sign me up!

fitzsy likes this.
  3. fitzsy

fitzsy Well-Known Member

The bell is fantastic on this ride

4. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Was this a special order for you or are there more of these in the wild?

Fifty9Dunes likes this.
  5. fitzsy

fitzsy Well-Known Member

Made for Steve maxwell event and he has more of them!

6. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Need to hear it but it "sounds" good so far.....

7. jtpaistegeist

jtpaistegeist Well-Known Member

From the pic it looks similar to the K Dark Medium Ride 22". Does if differ much from that model?

8. Butch1970

Butch1970 Well-Known Member

I picked up one of the Multi 22' Protos from Maxwell's in NYC. Tried out 3 different weights from the stack and went with the 2nd heaviest at 2510g. Nice stick with a wash that stays underneath, a super bell and crashable. Really a well-balanced sound.

I'm trying to put together a set of 3 cymbals that I could use in most situations other than loud Rock. I've got a set of 15" K Light hats en route that are a bit on the heavier side of the range. Currently thinking about the 19" K Con Crash-Ride to go on the left.

9. musiqman

musiqman Well-Known Member

They really should bring out the Old K inspired prototypes they made in 2015. Its the perfect cymbal line. I still have the 14” and sold the 22” stupidly.

They also had 15 hats and 20” and 24” cymbals.

10. NewVintage

NewVintage Very well Known Member

I bought the "heavy" one (2556 grams). Man, I love it and hope this isn't the last we see of them! The bell and profile does remind be of the K Dark Medium but with better spread and crashability as you'd expect from a lighter cymbal. It's also less dry which I like. This cymbal could play about anything! It would probably be my "signature" cymbal if Zildjian had asked me what I wanted. It fills that old A meets old K void beautifully.