New (to me) Yamaha 9000D series drums

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Geardaddy, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Geardaddy

Geardaddy Very well Known Member

I just acquired a vintage Yamaha drum kit that is not only a very nice set of drums, but also holds a great deal of sentimental value to me personally. It’s a 4 piece set of Yamaha 9000D birch shell drums from 1978 - 79. The drums are 8x12, 9x13, 16x16 and 14x22.
    This kit belonged to the bandleader of a band I performed with in the early 80’s and was used exclusively in his recording studio. He owned them until he passed away in the early 90’s and a friend of mine owned them until about a week ago. The drums are in very good condition, but are dirty and will need to be cleaned and polished to really bring them back to their former glory. The pictures show them with missing bottom hoops and heads, but all of the missing parts were included. These drums are special to me because I recorded several albums on them when I in the band and I remember how great they sounded. I can’t wait to restore them and play them again.

Yamaha 9000D 1.jpg Yamaha 9000D 2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Ron_M

Ron_M DFO Veteran

Can't wait to see them cleaned up.

3. Tama CW

Tama CW Very well Known Member

Good luck with that. One of my favorite style kits. All birch shells. Like a recording series only with the dual tail light style lugs....more classy looking imo than the single high tension lugs. The Yamaha numbering system for the 1980's also works backwards into the 1970's for the 7000/9000 series drums. When it comes to figuring out Yamaha drums, most get totally confused prior over the 1977-1981 period. Nice to see that you know your stuff.

IIRC correctly the 000 series wood/metal snares are the high end snares that would often come with that kit. Last year I picked up a nicely priced and very decent 1979 dated model 065 (metal 14x6.5) from Sam Ash Ebay/NY. Those are Yamaha's version of the Ludwig super sensitive snare drum. They fall out of the sky from time to time. By 1980 they were offering 9XX series snare drums in wood/metal.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Bri6366 likes this.
  4. AustinFitz

AustinFitz Well-Known Member

Very cool story, and a beautiful kit! I'm a pretty sentimental guy myself, and often form serious attachments to certain instruments. Can't wait to see some pics of those all cleaned up!

5. rculberson

rculberson Very well Known Member

Congrats on the score, Geardaddy! I scored a set of 9000D's in Real Wood finish back in May of this year that date almost identically to yours. I consider these drums total keepers, and they don't have anywhere near the sentimental value your set has to you. Enjoy them in good health and happy new year, brotha!!

6. thejohnlec

thejohnlec Well-Known Member

Beautiful kit, glad to see they will live on in respectful hands. Enjoy them, and congrats on the re-acquisition!

7. drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn Very well Known Member

Great drums! I have the matching snare but not the set.

8. Geardaddy

Geardaddy Very well Known Member

Which snare drum do you have? I'd like to eventually find a matching wood snare for my kit.

9. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

I have that snare too in natural - nice and yellowed .

10. drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn Very well Known Member

The one! MIJ 7x14 thin shell birch RC, pink badge, black bearing edge. The snare is black.