New/used kit advise: Keystone vs 3 ply Butcher Block

Discussion in 'General' started by sass, Jan 8, 2019.

1. sass

sass Member

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it! Unfortunately up in Canada we get to pay a little more due to the crappy USD vs CDN dollar disparity. That $860 amount is actually $1,066.43 + $342.44 in shipping (and then likely customs on top of that). Very nice kit however. The BB's I am looking at...The owner originally wanted $1,200 CDN. I got him to $1,000 before even going to see them....This would equal around $800 south of the border.

2. sass

sass Member

Thank you everyone for posting their opinions...quite an even split! Many have said that the $1,000 is too high. Please remember this is CDN currency. This would equate to around $800 USD. Would you think that is too high as well (side note: Owner originally wanted $1,200 CDN which would be around $950 USD)?

3. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

800 USD is a fair price for those drums in good condition

4. studrum

studrum DFO Veteran

Agreed.

5. sass

sass Member

Quick update: I went and had a look at the BB kit. As much as I liked them a few things put me off and I am not going to go that route now. 1) Serial #'s didn't match 2) The floor tom looked like it had a stain on the inner shell whereas the other 2 were clear. 3) Bass drum hoops were pretty rashed from pedals etc (this possibly could have been cleaned however).

The cool thing was the drummer selling turned out to be a well known local drummer who was nominated for a Canadian Music Award. He used to play with Holly McNarland who has had some Canadian hits!

Still need to see the Keystones (a bit of a drive for me). Hopefully next week. A friend of mine had a set of keystones and wasn't a fan of the Atlas mounts. Anyone else have thoughts on the Atlas Mounts??

The other kit that is on my radar and is quite a different kit is the DW Frequent Flyer. If I could find a used white onyx kit that would be the easy winner.

6. ARGuy

ARGuy DFO Master

I don't think you'll ever find a Ludwig kit from that era where the serial numbers match. The best you can hope for is that they're close; even if they weren't, that wouldn't faze me if I liked the kit.

7. sass

sass Member

Interesting. I am certainly not a vintage guru guy by any means...I figured that would have really took their value down. Was that a normal thing back in the day? Thanks for the feedback

8. ARGuy

ARGuy DFO Master

With Ludwig, it was totally the norm. Ludwig placed little importance on keeping serial numbers in sequence. It wasn't unusual for them to build a partial set with close serial numbers, then when they got an order for a set, they would make the necessary drums to complete the set and put on whatever badges were laying around. So, you'd have a brand new set that was shipped together with serial numbers thousands apart.

9. sass

sass Member

Well the decision has been made for better or worse. I went with the Keystones. The kit looked like it had never been used and I think it will work perfect for gigging in the band I am with. They sound great IMO. Not so sure I love the Atlas mounts on the floor tom but not a deal breaker by any means. I do love the memory locks on the floor tom legs....that's a first for me.

Thank you to all for sharing their opinions. Much appreciated.

ARGuy likes this.
  10. RickTriesToPlayDrums

RickTriesToPlayDrums Well-Known Member

+ 1

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 1:14 AM
  11. RickTriesToPlayDrums

RickTriesToPlayDrums Well-Known Member

I have an early to mid-'80s Butcher Block kit fitted with the Modular Hardware (6 or seven ply maple-conflicting information as to number of plies). These are unsupported shells.

The shells are nice, but I don't know if the Modular Hardware with the Pearl-style through the shell "plumbing" is less desirable and decreases the value.

Can anyone please educate me on this factor?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 1:27 AM