Next Drum Set?

Discussion in 'General' started by Wesley Seeley, Mar 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM.

Tags:

Which one should I purchase?

1. Pork Pie Little Squealer Kit

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. SJC Pathfinder Kit (2019 model)

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Mapex Mars Series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

The best thing you can do is buy what fulfills you. I know how it is, you like something and that's that!
    I can't buy anything that I consider ugly no matter how good it functions. So I get what you feel! And nobodies suggestions or opinions can change that. After analyzing everyone's posts including mine, I think we went off topic and I'm gonna respect what you initially asked without making any other suggestions of what "I like". It's about you and what you like so here goes: My vote for your question asking to pick which of the 3 that you like is:
    I can't just pick one! I have 2 for you in this order and reason:
    #1 Pork Pie (It comes with the Little squealer snare which sounds great & the kit looks like a nice, classy traditional drum kit. Reminds me of an old school kit & I've heard great things about Pork Pie)
    #2 Mapex (As much as I hate the name, it looks really nice and it's the only one out of the three that is all birch and from what I've read, Mapex is making quality drums. Also, the price is great)
    As for the SJC. Something about their kits just don't do it for me. I don't like how they look personally. They remind me of that style of kit that's supposed to be ultra modern which I don't like. DDrum has that same look. I used to see DDrum's in store and they looked ugly to me.
    Their you have it, that's my opinion (from an all out Ludwig guy!)
    Anyways, have fun picking one and let us know in the end what you buy.
    LRod

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I don't know anything about any of these 3 kits - based on the size alone, I'd go with Mapex only because that's the most traditional sized kit. I do jazz mostly and none would work for me.......

If your budget is $800, there will be a ton of kits out there used on GC, MGR and you may get lucky with CList. I once picked up a DW pre-collectors 8/10/14/18 with 13" snare and crappy cymbals for.......way less than that!!!!

3. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Don’t buy any of those

4. lrod1707

I guess that sums up exactly which one of the 3 you think he should buy, LOL!

5. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Awesome feedback! One thing I would like to add that I forgot to mention is that the Pork Pie kit I found that's within the same price range as the Mapex and SJC is a used kit and does not come with the little squealer snare drum. The Pork Pie and SJC kit do not include a snare and the Mapex is the only one that does.

I didn't think it would be so hard making a decision on a new kit! lol

6. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Understandable then!

Also, I have been searching on Reverb, eBay, Guitar Center Used, and local craigslist. Thanks for the help!

7. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Why do you say that?

8. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

9. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Great! Thanks so much for the feedback. I will take this into consideration!

10. lrod1707

Question: What's your limit on purchase price? Reason I ask is because if it's in the sub $800 range, you can buy new (excluding the pork pie). You mentioned no snare with that one so you would have to buy a snare as well. Tough choices!

11. Wesley Seeley

Wesley Seeley Member

Well, I'm hoping so stay within the 500-850 range, so if I ended up getting one of the $600 kits (SJC & Mapex) I wouldn't mind spending 200-250 on a snare.

12. lrod1707

Ah ok! That should get you what you want then. Hope you find it soon.

13. SnareBuzz76

SnareBuzz76 Member

I would go looking for well-maintained used gear; not feeling loyalty to any brand. Let someone else pay the sticker price, allowing you to get into something you ordinarily wouldn't be able to afford!

Up here in New England, there's a great shop:
    https://thevillagedrumandmusic.com

There's amazing stuff filtering through there all the time. they ship anywhere ... Anthony does amazing restores as well!

I'm sure there's stores around you, too!

Buy with your ears!

14. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

1st question: Do you like your snare? Cause if you like your snare, you can keep your snare.
    Seriously, I remember being frustrated by 'Why can't I just buy a complete drum kit with everything I need' but the answer is 'because it's so personal'. Forget the idea of a snare coming with a kit ever existed. Get a snare you're happy with, then go revisit everything else. I'm not some wize grizzled old veteran, but it doesn't take long trying to get what you want to figure out they don't often go together. Now I find myself wishing that we could get away from this idea of 'Shell Packs' and 'The bass drum is part of the shell pack'. In Swarfrat's dream of the future, Bass and Snare would be a la carte, and TOMS would be a set.

lrod1707 likes this.