Off to a fast start

Discussion in 'General' started by paul, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:08 PM.

1. paul

paul DFO Veteran

Wednesday night my big band played our monthly gig at a local restaurant. In the course of the show we did the Buddy Rich/Sammy Davis arrangement of "Come Back to Me," which moves along at a rapid clip. We hadn't played the chart in probably a year, and didn't rehearse it before the gig, but our fearless leader believes the band and singer own the chart, so wasn't nervous about it. It starts with a solo that Buddy did on hihat and I try to emulate. John just points at me and says something like, "Go ahead, Paul," and off we go.

So Wednesday the bass player's wife recorded audio on her phone, and Chris clocked us at 310 bpm. I didn't intend to kick it off that fast, but it didn't bother the band at all. Sometimes I'll get comments from the band about the speed of a tune, but nobody said a word, and it went off without a hitch. We had several charts that night that we do at 250 or more, and speed is rarely an issue.

I can remember times in the past when high speed songs were a real challenge for the band, but now they're just music, and the more we play fast the easier it becomes.

Tmcfour, DrummerJustLikeDad and Elvis like this.
  2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Wow, that's fast! I play with a group of youngsters and the band leader lets me count off Wipeout and do the intro. When I feel like playing it a bit faster during rehearsal, it elevates the entire band and they are able to step up and just do it! The last few gigs, we've done it at the faster pace and it's a good confidence builder for them......plus the crowd rocks out to the faster beat!

3. RIDDIM

RIDDIM DFO Master

That's a butt kicking chart. I had to sight read that one night, at tempo.

That was character building.

4. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

I just ran Metronome+ on my phone. It’s highest tempo is 300. I hit play. Then I laughed.

Good for you Paul!!! I’m glad I’ll never need to do that. :)

5. Rockin' Billy

Rockin' Billy DFO Veteran

Just looked at your site...great stuff all around!

I played in big band jazz band in high school some 44 years ago...miss playing big band music. Not much opportunity here. Only time I come close is possibly at a wedding gig but small band.

Keep up the great work!

6. paul

paul DFO Veteran

Chris sent me the audio file his wife recorded, and the tempo actually sounds about right, so I feel better. It's not a good recording, so won't be shared here. One of the guys in the band does better recordings, so maybe later.

Rockin' Billy, I don't know where you live, but a thorough search may surprise you. Here in Dallas/Fort Worth there are over 30 big bands at varying levels of seriousness and quality. I've actually played with eight of them over the years, but before joining my band was aware of only two.

7. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

Good job Paul.

Only recently, I've become aware of two Big Bands in Austin. I need to get my rear in gear and go hear these guys.

sherm