One down, Two to go.

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by K.O., Dec 26, 2018.

1. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I used my Christmas day to rewrap a tom and it turned out quite nicely. Now I just have to find the ambition, and the time, to do the bass drum and floor tom and I'll have a very nice "new" Slingerland set added to my stable.

I bought these stripped shells (13/16/22) a couple weeks ago from a local guy for a pittance. I guess he was tired of looking at them. I used some of my Christmas bonus money to order silver sparkle wrap from Precision for the set. I ordered it last Thursday and the wrap showed up yesterday (Monday). It's a Festivus miracle!

I had already done the prep work on the small tom so it was ready to go so once our Christmas festivities were over this morning (with no kids, and therefore no grandkids it has become a rather low key affair in our household, although the cats do seen to get excited) I decided to tackle the tom. Out came the 3M 30NF glue and within an hour I had a wrapped shell. I let that set until early evening then filed the edges down, drilled all the holes, and put it together. Of course this was the easy one. I still have to get the glue residue off the other two shells.

I toyed with the notion of doing these in purple sparkle, which actually was a Slingerland factory color at one point, but opted to go with silver sparkle because it looks good under any lighting and (mostly) because I have a single ply Artist model snare in that wrap (not to mention it's the loudest wrap ;) ).

So it was a Christmas well spent... 20181209_150435.jpg

20181225_205447.jpg

2. shuffle

shuffle DFO Master

I can hear it from here!
    Beatific!

3. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Great job Kevin. That really looks classy. Good luck on the rest of them!

4. sksmith-1

sksmith-1 Well-Known Member

Man, that is going to be LOUD!!!
    Looks great, love that finish.
    Steve

5. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Wow you do nice work. These are going to look great!

6. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

Those drums will make a beautiful set. Will there be a Set-O-Matic tom mount? Or will there be a rail consolette mount? Either one will be the perfect capper for this drum set since you already have the ideal snare drum.

7. 10 Lug

10 Lug Well-Known Member

Very nice. Good work.

8. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Single set-o-matic. I'm actually a fan of that particular mount and that is one of the main appeals to me of Slingerlands (besides that they are great classic American drums).

fun2drum and Rockin' Billy like this.
  9. BRIAN

BRIAN Very well Known Member

Agreed, really nice job

10. sazemanek1

sazemanek1 Very well Known Member

Man, that looks great!

11. marko52

marko52 Piper At the Gates of Dawn

Gonna be a great drumset! Keep us posted as the glue comes off..........marko

12. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I'm hoping maybe I can get another one wrapped today.

13. jccabinets

jccabinets Very well Known Member

Good call on the silver sparkle, I think purple would look bad. Nice work, how do you apply the contact cement, brush, roller, notched trowel?

14. KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad Very well Known Member

Good job Kevin. Always a classy finish.

15. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I just use the ultra cheap bristle brushes from Wal-Mart. One use then I pitch it and use another new one the next time. They are like 79 cents so not worth cleaning. I have my little system worked out, I pour just enough glue into a dixie cup and work from that. I hang the shell off a boom arm and the wrap goes on the counter. The only real trick (besides starting the wrap straight) is the overlap. I find the exact amount and then put a strip of masking tape along the sparkle side that will be covered by the upper layer. Then I sand that area to roughen it up so the glue sticks better. I also sand the entire back side a bit. Seems to help. Years ago, before I did that I sometimes had trouble with the overlap not sticking to itself (sometimes I'd have to re-do it with PVC cement which works with some wraps) but ever since I hit on sanding that area I haven't had any issues. I also line the seam up with a lug position so that helps hold it in place as well. Putting the wrap on is the most nerve wracking part of it, the rest is pretty easy.

I made my own air vent grommets for this project out of aluminum tubing (I've done the same with brass tubing for Ludwigs). You just put a double flare on one end with a flaring tool. The trick there is to cut the resulting tube to just the right length for when you flair it out inside the drum. Too short won't work (for obvious reasons, although you could glue it in place) and too long you can't flare it out enough to hold tight, but just right will come out with a "factory" look.

My wife had surgery on her foot this morning. Everything turned out fine but she's got to stay off it for 3-4 weeks. I've decided that I best not try to start any project that I don't want to be interrupted on today, since now I'm at her beck and call. So I guess the other two drums will have to wait for awhile.

Radio King likes this.
  16. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Great job! Love silver sparkle.......I have yet to glue wrap the "right" way and so stripping shells is the easy part for me! (Citrustrip and plastic scraper). I am interested in your grommet technique though and can't wait to see the final result.......

17. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

Here's a couple close-ups of the "homemade" grommet....

20181226_141311.jpg

20181226_141303.jpg

18. robthetimekeeper

robthetimekeeper DFO Veteran

Nice job, Kevin. That grommet really looks great!

jccabinets likes this.
  19. jccabinets

jccabinets Very well Known Member

Yes looks fantastic, thanks for the wrap lessons!

20. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

My primary inspiration on this project...

20181226_201714.jpg