Opinions on Rogers Super/Ten snare drum

Discussion in 'General' started by janeybug, Mar 17, 2009.

1. janeybug

janeybug janeybug

I just bought this very cheap..........sounds like a good, rock drum....

it's a steel shell right?

2. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

Yeah steel shell very nice drum. They sound great. That one looks like a deeper shell than the one I had a few months ago..

3. TommyWells

TommyWells Pro/Founder

I never saw a super-ten in 6 1/2 depth before. Are you certain that it isn't a Dyna, without the snare carriage? I can't tell from the picture. Super-tens were steel I believe.

4. Kevin OConnor

Kevin OConnor DFO Master

JB,

Nice snare nonetheless. It looks like a keeper to me 8)

5. Dusty Rogers

Dusty Rogers Founder

Not enough info for an answer. Like MR. Wells said, I've never seen one in 6.5 either. Looks like a Dyna to me, and a nice one. Just missing the frame? More pics would be helpful, and Dan C will get it figured out, for sure. As I remember, the Super Tens had Both the Script and the Big R badges on them, just went and looked at mine, confirmed............at least for mine. Nice looking drum! If it is truely a Super Ten, in that size, you might have a real rarity, who knows?

Dusty

6. Coelacanth

Coelacanth DFO Master

I saw one of those Super 10's on eBay a week or so ago. Looked intriguing, but out of my price range nonetheless. This one looks beautiful, and I can imagine it sounds as nice as it looks.

7. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    That is a 6.5x14 Superten. Steel shell. Dynasonics had those 5 ribs around the center, these did not.

The earliest Supertens had the script badge and an oval serial number badge similar to the Dynasonic badge. During the transitions, both the S-ten and the Dyna had a script badge and a Big R serial tag, then went to just the Big R badge.

That's a nice drum you have there. I like a deep snare, and the S-ten had good tone and provides a lot of volume when you need it.

8. JohnG

JohnG DFO Veteran

I have not seenthat many S-tens around in 6.5....nice score on a nice sounding steel drum..........

9. Robinsky

Robinsky DFO Veteran

I have a script badge Super Ten. It sounds great. I was lucky to find it since there aren't so many of them in Ireland. Congrats on your good find.

10. Guest

They are very nice sounding drums.I like them better than the P/T brass shells.I have a 6.5 S/T,and i was not aware they are hard to come by :?

11. Hater

Hater Genuine GMS Junkie

The SuperTen is a great snare. I've got a 5" early version. Actually it's for sale if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

12. Rufus T Firefly

Rufus T Firefly Well-Known Member

I have a 6.5 x 14 script superten. Very nice drum. I bought it in 1974 and it was my go to snare for many years. I play it wide open and it has a beautiful ring to it. The drum really projects and is indeed a great drum for loud rock music. I don't use mine as much as I used to but I have no desire to get rid of it.

enjoy it janey!!

13. Mozart720

Mozart720 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Definitely the first 6 1/2 S-10 Ive seen. Awesome score. great sounding drum, nonetheless.

14. Guest

Sooooo...Its the Powertone thats brass and has 8 lugs???..i get em mixed up :?

15. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

Son of a gun... :shock:

16. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    wayne said:
    Sooooo...Its the Powertone thats brass and has 8 lugs???..i get em mixed up :?

That is correct... :wink:

17. Chris

Chris DFO Veteran

I bought one from Jollity Drum Farm around 10 yrs ago,it wasn't cheap.These(6.5") are kind of rare.But,I'm such a Dyna freak,I converted both the 5" & 6.5" I have w/ Dyna frames.

18. Vipercussionist

Vipercussionist Drummer Extra Ordinary

janeybug said:
    I just bought this very cheap..........sounds like a good, rock drum....

it's a steel shell right?
    NICE 6 1/2!! Does it SAY Super Ten on it??

I see those from time to time and plan sooner or later to grab one as they're kinda cheap due to being a steel shell. Nice sounding steel shell drum though. I've heard from multiple sources that they kick ass.

A friend just lent me his 5.5 to try out for a test. I'll be trying it this weekend.

19. Guest

I believe the later S/T that has both a script and a big R,does not say superten on it..Is this correct?..I believe depending on condition these drums are going for 2-350...quite a bargain :shock:

20. JohnG

JohnG DFO Veteran

yes the PT is an 8 lug brass drum....the S10 a 10 lug stell sheel...... then there is the wood PT, and the 10 lug dyna...brass or wood (a wood dyna is $$$$$)...and the wood S10's......5" 6.5" or 8".......does that clear it up.....haha