OT: Cleaning up a wood veneer desk

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by nk126, Feb 5, 2019.

1. nk126

nk126 Well-Known Member

I know you all know your woods, so I figured I'd ask here ... Hope that's cool

I bought a used desk -- total steal for what it is, but it wasn't exactly been well cared for by the original owner. The surface has a bunch of stuff on it that didn't clean off with mild soap, water, and elbow grease. No idea what all is on there beyond some obvious water stains and small scratches.

The manufacturer says the desktop itself is finished in wood veneer. It's kind of a semi-gloss finish, very smooth to the touch.

If I can't easily clean/restore it, no big deal. But I'd like to try - without totally ruining it :) Any ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_2815.jpeg

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Looks like a fake top to me. Is there a section where you can try and sand it with some 220 or 400? If so, you may be able to get to the natural wood. If you can, I'd suggest strip the entire top with Citrustrip (from Home Depot) which is easy to use and "non-toxic" supposedly (at least it smells like orange instead of chemicals!)......

GeeDeeEmm and nk126 like this.
  3. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Even zoomed in I can not tell if this is laminate or veneer. Can we get a close up of the surface showing the grain?

4. rpludwig

rpludwig Very well Known Member

+1 looks like laminate....re-wrap it!

5. Jason Pruden

Jason Pruden New Member

Champagne sparkle would be a killer desktop!

Fat Drummer likes this.
  6. nk126

nk126 Well-Known Member

I sanded a small section with 220 and it removed a good chunk of whatever was on that part of the surface. Also dulled the finish slightly, as to be expected.

Probably just gonna live with it awhile for now. Will try to get some better photos to post - was a long week, haven’t had a chance to even read the forum again until now

Champagne sparkle desktop would probably jazz up my writing...