OT: Knee replacement and a word of caution

Discussion in 'General' started by komodobob, Jan 2, 2019.

1. komodobob

komodobob DFO Master

I guess this is sort of relevant to drumming, because I had my right knee replaced in July of 2017. This is just a word of caution to anyone considering a knee replacement. Do your homework and YOU pick the surgeon. Don't let the orthopedic group say to you, Dr. so and so will be doing your surgery.

This is what happened to me and as a result, after 18 months, I can only bend my knee, at best when I force it, to 90 degrees and I still experience some pain.

The surgeon they picked was not their best and I even suspect he might have been low man on the totem pole. While he is still working for the same group, he is no longer doing surgery. Oh and by the way, he is in his mid 50's and a little young to be contemplating retirement. This tells me others had problems with him as well, so they probably took the scalpel away from him.

The good news, I can walk with no problem and still play the drums. The bad news, because of the lack of flexibility, I have extreme difficulty with coming down the stairs and have nearly fallen twice.

Again, please do your homework and get the RIGHT MAN or WOMAN. Otherwise, you could be disabled for the rest of your life, which is exactly where I now see my self.

2. dtk

dtk DFO Master

Wow...that sucks. My dad had both knees done and my moms up for one in March. Do they know why its not working right? Can PT help? Wishing you the best...c u in two weeks

3. Rudy Mints

Rudy Mints Very well Known Member

Had both knees done this past year. PT is the answer.

I ride an exercycle 20 mins twice a day. As I've become more flexible I've lowered the seat a notch. At first my knees are stiff, and sore (all over again). After 3 to 4 weeks, I'm ready to lower the seat again.

You may also try bending your knee as close to your butt as possible while in bed. Use an old belt, or tie to help stretch. Don't hyper bend it, a little more every couple days, or weeks well do the trick.

Regards, Rudy

4. komodobob

komodobob DFO Master

I did PT twice a week for about 3 months. Finally, on the 3rd to last session, the Therapist just shook his head and said he had done all he can do for me. Bottom line, I just got a surgeon that was not all that competent.

My wife thinks I should give the orthopedic dept. at The Cleveland Clinic a call and at least get a consultation to see if they can improve things. Cleveland is only 5 hours away, but even if they can do something for me, I have to decide if I'm up for another year long recovery.

I just hope by sharing my experience here, that I've be able to help others from experiencing the same issues. It ain't fun, that's for sure.

5. orvilleb

orvilleb Very well Known Member

I’m surprised that you were able to get discharged from the hospital with your limited range of motion. I had my right knee done 6 years ago at New England Babtist in Boston. They wouldn’t discharge me until I got to 90 deg. My PT pushed me beyond 110 deg. It was not an easy trip and hurt like helll! To add insult to injury, two months after the surgery I fell down some steps in my garage and split open my left knee to the tune of 26 stitches. My bionic right knee was not damaged, but was now forced to be my good leg while the left healed. Unlike you, I went to supposedly the best hospital in the area (Boston Celtics team hospital) and one of their best surgeons. That said, I am still disappointed in the knee replacement. The debilitating osteoarthritic pain is gone, but there is still external muscle/ligature pain. Bottom line is that there is nothing like our original equipment.

On a lighter note...what do they call a med student that graduates in the bottom of his class? Doctor.

I wish you well!

6. crash

crash DFO Master

I assist on a lot of knee replacements with 5 surgeons. From full 3 compartment replacements to robotic assisted Makos. Not uncommon to do 12 in a week. I have 2 replacements myself. The one common thing all research shows is early movement is critical. Our patients are up the day of surgery. Push the Pt. I’d see people just doing minimum while I was just hammering the exercise bike. Yes it hurt. But, things are great. Occasionally I get a little IT band irritation. I played a hard surf rock gig 2 weeks postoperative. I’m hiking, biking and surfing. I get small reminders of surgery. Knees are gone, things are changed forever. But it’s a far cry from only being able to walk a block at a time before stopping.

7. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

My wife had one complete hip replacement in 2011. The doctor replaced the worst of the two hips. During recuperation and physical therapy, the other hip became worse than the other one had been before it was replaced. Eleven months after the first hip replacement, the other one was completely replaced. That second hip replacement has been problematic ever since. Her sense of balance has her sometimes being human Weeble. Remember those?

8. davidh

davidh Well-Known Member

I had both knees replaced about 2 years ago - left one then the other 3 months later. One of the first suggested exercises was like pedalling on a drum set so I played from the first day back and gigged within two weeks with someone helping me lug the stuff. I did a lot of gym rowing and cycle machine work and walk often preferably with nordic poles, and swim a lot. I have had no problems at all and they feel good - bionic but good. I think you have to work hard at the rehabilitation. Maybe I was lucky, but I was not overweight and don't drink.

9. DrumWhipper

DrumWhipper Very well Known Member

I tore 90% of my quad six years ago and had to have reconstructive surgery. They anchored the quad to my left knee, so I have limited range of motion. Luckily this is my hi hat leg, but it does bother me at times when I play the double pedal and when I sit and play for an extended time.

One big that that has helped me get some mobility back, though, is training in martial arts. Over time the stretches and exercises have helped me more than what I feel physical therapy did.

10. orvilleb

A big help to my range of motion after replacement surgery was a recline excercise bike. I’d adjust the seat to the lowest position to force me to bend my knees beyond 90 degrees. The pedal resistance was set to minimum as I was only interested in flexing the knee joints and not getting a physical workout. It was quite painful to start pedaling so the first few rotations were very slow. Forcing myself through I’d gradually increase the speed. I’d ride for about 30 minutes at a time. Did it at least once a day.

Another thing that helps is doing squats in a swimming pool. The water supports enough body weight to take a lot of pressure off the knee joints. Surprisingly I can almost do a full squat similar to a baseball catcher’s position. And there is no pain. Outside of the pool, I can’t get down nearly as far because of the pain.

Keep pushing yourself!

11. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

Sorry to hear, Bro. I have had 6 or 7 knee surgeries and have less that 90 deg motion in both. I feel your pain....

12. orvilleb

Bottom line is that drummers only need enough ROM so that they don’t have to play standing up.

13. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

The problem I have is standing up after an hour and a half set. Takes me a couple minutes to get my sea legs back. And I haven’t had knee surgery...... .....yet

14. komodobob

komodobob DFO Master

WHOA!!! I'm sorry to hear about that. Maybe I don't have so much to complain about after all?

15. Olderschool

Olderschool DFO Veteran

No...My intent was not to belittle your experience by comparing mine. Yes.....there are always people far worse off but that doesn't marginalize your pain and loss of motion. I truly hope you get your motion fixed and your knee pain gone. Hang in there!!!