Oyster Blue Pearl - covered in black paint

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by 69OysterBlue, Nov 3, 2018.

1. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

Just got a kit off eBay that appears to have started life in 1968 as a Ludwig Hollywood set in Oyster Blue Pearl - very similar to the original kit I got when I was 14 years old. Somewhere along the line, someone decided to paint these drums black (ugh!).

To the credit of whoever did the paint job, they were very careful. Unfortuately, the paint they used caused the wrap to crack and start to fall off in a few places. The good news is that the shells are in very good shape.

I took a small piece of the wrap from the bass drum and held it to a flame last night and confirmed that this old wrap burns like crazy. My intent will be to remove the wrap by burning it off later today. I've done this before and it is - by far - the easiest way to remove the wrap and does the least amount of damage to the outer mahogany ply.

I'll try to shoot some video for your viewing enjoyment! s-l500.jpg s-l500 (1).jpg

2. Trilock_Gurtu

Trilock_Gurtu Well-Known Member

I HATE when people do crap like that.

I recently got a 70's Slingerland COW kit. The prson I got it from mentioned that he got it from a guy who painted it black (facepalm). So he spent weeks painstakingly stripping layer after layer of paint. Looks great now...glad he did it haha.

I'm assuming your plan is to re-wrap? OBP?

3. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

Yes - the paint pretty much destroyed the wrap so these drums are going to be a re-wrap project. I am probably going to do them in Black Diamond Pearl. I've always thought those looked cool and never had a kit in that wrap.

Drumodad likes this.
  4. marko52

marko52 Piper At the Gates of Dawn

Definitely post a video of the burn-off.....marko

fishaa likes this.
  5. 69OysterBlue

69OysterBlue DFO Master

The burn took place late afternoon and my videographer (wife) was unavailable. However, I can report that all went extremely well - it didn't take even three minutes for the whole thing to burn off.

Once the wrap was gone, there was still glue residue left on the shell. After a few applications of paint/varnish stripper and some #3 steel wool, the glue is gone and the outer mahogany ply looks great.

I'll try to get some video of the wrap burn on the toms tomorrow.

IMG_0346.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG

6. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Nice work Jim. Looks great. I recall one of your wrap burn videos a few years back. It was wild but effective!

7. Drumodad

Drumodad Member

image.jpg Sometimes you end up with this.

8. TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany Very well Known Member

9. Drumodad

Drumodad Member

Someone thought they should be sanded and painted black at some point in time.
    This is after getting the paint off.
    They sound amazing.

TheElectricCompany likes this.