Paiste round logo Sound Formulas

Discussion in 'Cymbal Talk' started by longfellow3469, Jul 6, 2011.

1. longfellow3469

longfellow3469 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I'm new here and this is my first topic post. I have an older set of Paiste Sound Formulas. I know the new Sound Formulas are very pricey and to my understanding are not built as well as the older models. I have someone interested in mine and wanted some opinions on value.
    Mine are in very good shape and are 14' Medium Heavy. The top weighs 881 grams and the bottom weighs 1255. They sound super sweet. Any opinions or info are appreciated. I was wanting around $200.00 for them and I didn't think that was unreasonable.

2. hefty

hefty DFO Master

Most people seem to prefer the older round logo SFs like you've got actually, although opinions vary... Also these don't seem to fetch what they "should" considering they're precursors to Signatures. I got these same hats for $150 (+shipping) last year.

3. drumreaper

drumreaper Moderator Moderator

Definitely in the 150-200 range I'd say. Yours look real nice.

4. ekim

ekim Very well Known Member

I'd love to have these hats. PM me.

5. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

Just researched them and the round label medium heavy hihats are not selling for any more or less than the newer logo ones. As I understand it, they're the same except for the label. There was a set that did sell for $199, it was the newer label, and the next price down was $137.50 for a round label set of them. Then there are prices of $120, then $111(both non-round label).. So there's a fairly wide range of prices, and not necessarily along the lines of either label selling for more or less.

6. shilohjim

shilohjim DFO Veteran

The Sound Formulas were released in 1990 after the Signature line appeared the year before. The round logo versions were made in Paiste's German factory. They began making them in the Swiss factory about 1994-5, and this is when they switched to what is commonly referred to as the "Frankenlogo". Some people say they can hear a difference between the two, but I don't. Both the German and Swiss cymbals were matched to the same master cymbals. I've got round logo sound edges, frankenlogo full crashes, and a prototype full ride. All sound fantastic. This is my very favorite Paiste line and I wish they wold start making them again.

7. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

The sound Formulas were among the first cymbals Paiste made with the Signature alloy.

8. Ludwig Von Buzztoven

Ludwig Von Buzztoven DFO Veteran

I have owned both sets of Medium Heavies: the round logo and the Franken logo. IMO, the round logos are WAY better than the Frankens (which sound clangy and harsh). I flipped the Franken logos a month after I got them; the round logos are still with me, and are my main gigging hats.

The round logos are the more desirable ones. $200 for yours is not unreasonable, and as nice as they look, it wouldn't surprise me if they went higher. If you don't sell these, PM me. I'll gladly buy them.

Buzz

9. longfellow3469

I saw a set in simialar condition sell for 235.00 on ebay a few weeks ago. But they were the Heavy as opposed to the medium heavys. Here is some info I stole from his listing.

As many of you may know, the Original Round Label Sound Formulas had a distictive lathing pattern that Paiste unfortunately no longer uses. They changed the lathing when they introduced the newer "Frankenstein" (as one literary ebayer described it) logo. The new ones looked a hell of a lot like Signatures in terms of the construction-so much that apparently they were actually competing with the Signature market and so Paiste ultimately discontinued the series. However the Round Label has always been different animal. It's the same famous Signature alloy (B15) however it is worked differently. Check out the lathing (pictures.) And the heavy hammering on the bottom cymbal.

And if you've ever heard the RL Sound Formulas, then you know that the tone is Signature-ish but it's smoother and more glassy sounding. And that is exactly what these New 14s" SF sound like. They have all the clean, clear, Paiste attack you'd expect from a Signature but they're a bit smoother and glassier sounding.

The end result is a super clear, clean, semi-bright but a bit controlled, ULTRA smooth pair of Paiste Hihats that are as wonderful and versatlile as Signatures...

...but different. Rock, funk, fusion, country, blues, punk, reggae, whatever your vice, these clean Paistes will promote it. AND they are no longer made. Which means that you simply cannot get this sound anymore. AND they're in AMAZING Shape. Which means you should hang onto this pair and keep them in great condition because they will certainly appreciate.

A brand new pair of Paiste 14" Signature Hihats will cost you $488.98. And that's ON SALE!!

THESE 20 YEAR OLD BEAUTIES SOUND INCREDIBLE!!!

So do yourslef a favor and grab these No Longer Made Original Round Label Sound Formula Paiste Heavy Hihats.

And hang onto them!!!

10. longfellow3469

I pm'd you Ekim a few days ago. Buzz they are yours if u want them I can send more pics.

11. Pounder

Pounder DFO Master

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paiste-Sound-Formula-14-Medium-Heavy-Hi-Hats-/260811367752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb991a548

12. longfellow3469

I have also saw these every week he lists them. But to be honest $30.00 shipping is going to be an automatic turn off for most bidders.

13. nickg

nickg DFO Veteran

i have a round logo 16" Power Crash....one of my all time favorite cymbals.

14. longfellow3469

Well it looks like these will have a new home.

15. slinginit

slinginit Shake, bump, and shake again...

I'd put SF's against any pro-level cymbal on the market. They're a great set of hats for $200. I have the heavies and they're suprisingly responsive despite their weight. I'd figure the med/heavy would sell for more as they're probably a little more versatile than the heavies.

16. longfellow3469

They are on the way to their new home. I'm after a set of 404s now I know these aren't premium expensive hats but they are tough to find now days and I think the pricing will soon start to reflect it. used to be an easy 50-75 dollar set. Now you cant find em for less than $100.00

17. scoobdrums

scoobdrums New Member

i completely agree with this... on that same note i have a 16" round logo power crash and a round logo 12" splash, does anyone know the value or rarity of these because it is very hard trying to find any info out on the internet of pricing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.