Paypal "gift option"

Discussion in 'Cymbals For Sale' started by drawtheline55, Oct 6, 2017.

1. drawtheline55

drawtheline55 Owner/admin Administrator Moderator

Hi, it has come to our (the mods) attention that some sellers request the paypal"gift" option when purchasing an item.

We highly frown on and do not approve this. It is not right and the buyer has no protection, in the rare event it might be needed.

In fact, going forward if we see that in an ad, the ad will be pulled.

One simple solution is to simply split the fee, and all is good. Plus it is free to sell here.

Thanks, Ben and the DFO team.

2. ayryq

ayryq Well-Known Member

As a buyer I've always just added the fee on and then not used paypal gift. I use this website (http://gregledet.net/ppfcm.html) to calculate how much to add so the seller gets their asking price. Technically PayPal requires the fee to come from the seller, not the buyer (same as credit card companies do not typically permit shops to add on a credit-card fee). Sellers can use the same website (or another like it) to set an asking price "including paypal fees."

mtarrani likes this.
  3. 712drummer

712drummer DFO Veteran

Good Policy Ben. I think most of the members prefer it this way.

4. fatchoppers

fatchoppers DFO Veteran

If its free to sell on here whats the big deal for the selller to pay a 2.9 fee. It should be included in the selling price. Jmo.

5. fatchoppers

fatchoppers DFO Veteran

If both parties agree to gift option then no harm no foul

6. Tinman

Tinman Lincoln Highway Drummer

That is not true. It violates PayPal's policy. Follow the rules there and here.

7. fatchoppers

fatchoppers DFO Veteran

Then seller pays 2.9 Percent end of story. PayPal rules

8. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Good policy and I appreciate the idea, but it pretty much fell on deaf ears here for many. Come on guys, put the total amount you want for your item into the price and be done.

I am only speaking for myself and your free to call me an idiot (you would not be the first one today), but I walk away from listing that say "plus PP fees"... I'm going to cover myself as a buyer and your telling me that's fine by you, but your not willing to offer me the protection yourself. Put in in the value of your item and I'm none the wiser.

OK, my rant is done and I will go eat lunch.... I think Im just Hangry!

9. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

This has been brought up many times! I just leave it up to the buyer as to how they want to pay. As an example, I recently sold a complete Swivomatic single tom holder assembly, with brackets, to a great forum member. We agreed on a price and I sent an invoice. This member had already said that he wanted to "gift" me an additional amount to cover the fees. How cool is that?! After receiving his invoice payment, I then received his "gift" payment. Bottom line, I leave payment options to the buyer.

-Mark