Practice kit decision...made by wife :)

Discussion in 'General' started by ThinkingPistol, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ThinkingPistol

ThinkingPistol Member

First, I want to thank everyone for all the good advice and warm welcomes in my intro thread. You’ve all been a tremendous help for 42 year old virgin.

I had my first lesson last Monday (which was outstanding). However, I didn’t realize I’d be learning on a kit from day one, even though people encouraged incorporating the feet right away. All I’ve had all week was a practice pad to use and by Wednesday I realized I needed more.

I did not have room in the house for a kit, leaving only the garage (which isn’t climate controlled and I live in Michigan). So went looking for a practice pad set I figured could survive the extremes out there, assuming I could. I also thought about building my own set, because I’m handy, but wrote that off when I realized I don’t know enough about instrument placement yet to do such a thing.

THe closest I came was a practice pad kit by Rowland, which looked great but had no kick, pedals, or cymbals. Fair enough, could always buy some. While I was looking for high hat gear, my wife came out of the bedroom sweating with a tape measure. When I asked what the heck she was doing she motioned me inside. Damn, fellas, she had moved the furniture to create a space in the corner, had the iPad sitting there with an electronic drum kit in the cart, and said “Happy Birthday.” The kids were at school, so...REDACTED.

Anyway, it was an Alesis Nitro Mesh, and arrived yesterday. A cheapy, but one of the better cheapies, and since I was only looking for pads anyway, it was a nice bonus! Now I get to play inside, and don’t have to ruin anything. It’s nice and compact, and fits there really well. As if it wasn’t enough, a DWCP5100 throne arrived this morning!

Am I lucky or what?!

cornelius, squidart, Tornado and 2 others like this.
  2. Pimp-a-diddle

Pimp-a-diddle Very well Known Member

Ha! Congratulations, man! And yes, you ARE so very lucky. That's great and I hope you stick with it( no pun intended )and enjoy the process of become a true player; it's a GREAT journey.

ThinkingPistol likes this.
  3. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

That's awesome dude! Anything to start off is good. You will have fun. And having a wife like that helps. My wife is the same. She voluntarily gave me 1 of our rooms for my music when we moved into our new house 4 months ago. And you will definitely need her support when this becomes an addiction. You will little by little or maybe even rapidly start expanding. And you can't stop! So get ready to sweet talk and buy flowers, shoes or whatever it is that she likes.

4. ThinkingPistol

ThinkingPistol Member

The house size will keep me honest for a while...

5. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

Yep! I went thru that. We went from apartment to our first house. In the apartment I was screwed. I came back to playing after years of not playing. I bought my kit piece by piece and collected everything (in boxes) till we moved. Finally I was able to setup everything in the last couple of months. So I went thru a period that sucked because I was desperate to play but had zero room.

6. ThinkingPistol

ThinkingPistol Member

I’ve actually be looking forward to sucking at it. It’s been a long time since I’ve explored a thing as a total novice. I kind of miss it...that easily measurable growth towards something long term.

Yep, this is good.

lrod1707 likes this.
  7. Tigerdrummer

Tigerdrummer Well-Known Member

My wife is like this. She allowed me to put my late brother's old kit in the corner of living room because we have a small house. She knew they meant too much to me to put them in a unfinished basement.

8. moodman

moodman Lone Wolf

Sounds like a great start and it's good to have that support.
    I practice on an ekit, really an old Rogers kit with triggers in foam under the heads.(the extinct Hart brand) With the pad and that kit you can become comfortable with many aspects of drumming. In addition, you will want to spend some time putting your sticks on a real drum. E drums sound good regardless of how you hit them while a real drum takes more attention how you hit them. It's no great mystery, near the rim sounds different than the middle, there might be 'sweet spots'. etc. You'll use what you learn on the pad but with more dynamic variation and gain a sense of how to bring the best sound out of your drums.

An after thought on practicing. When others can hear you practicing, a tendency to 'perform' more than practice can happen. We learn much from trail and error, we must allow our selves to sound bad sometimes, playing painfully slow, even out of time, till we get what we're working on down.
    Have fun !

pedro navahas and ThinkingPistol like this.
  9. Tmcfour

Tmcfour DFO Veteran

That's great man! Sounds like you have a fantastic wife! I've been looking at the nitros as a practice option lately. How are the sounds on it?

10. DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad That's Me, The Silent Son

Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    You’re a very blessed man. I love this post, and it reminds me of a thread from a few months ago where we honored our parents or teacher/elders, knowing we wouldn’t be the drummers we are today without them.

There’s practice, opportunity, talent and drive, but it definitely helps having someone who believes in you so much, they sacrificed for it too. Your wife, TigerDrummer’s wife, my own, they all seem to have this attitude that if something makes you better, then it makes them better.

I have a lot to learn from people like that.

11. wackjob

wackjob Well-Known Member

Congrats on your nitro kit. I bought one for my son to learn on (daddy gets a go too). I agree it is one of the better cheap ekits. Hihat is a bit clunky, the sounds are ok and the pads whilst small have a good response. It will be very useful in learning grooves, sticking patterns and the inbuilt metronome is esential for practice. You can mix in an external sound source (e.g cd player) and drum along to your favorite tunes.

That is the way i learnt many years ago when i was 16. John Bonham, Joey Kramer, Stephen Addler, Tico Torres, Nick Mason, John Densmore, Keith Moon all taught me how to play drums. I have done too many gigs to remember over the years and enjoyed it all immensely . Having a family put a stop to it for a few years but i am now back at it and raring to go.

I got my son interested and he is having lessons. I get to sit in on them and have even had a few lessons myself (for the first time). I wish i had done it years a go. My lessons and watching my son's have been a real eye opener. I am learning to read, ironing out some bad habits and my technique is improving tremendously. Learning rudiments properly has really opened up lots of phrases i have had in my head for years but could not pull off.

Enjoy your drumming,

ATB stu

12. Lazmo

Lazmo Be excellent to each other...

TP, that is great. Aren’t supportive wives the best? To be blunt though, she has most likely made a well considered decision, which will enhance her life too, as she will see you happy and advancing, without having to hear the pain and faux pas on your drum journey.

Back in 2000, when my wife discovered that I was not only a guitar player, but also a drummer, she hassled the crap out of me to get a kit. I’d weirdly never mentioned to her that I used to play drums, and it was the Y2K gig where I had to fill in on the kit (our drummer didn’t show) that she (and our daughters) found out that I played drums. If she’s got some stuff to do around the house, she hassles me to crank the PA and play drums.

And I agree with Moodman, usually the most progress is made when you work on stuff you suck at. The eKit will help here, as you’ll be able to clam away to your hearts content, without putting a damper on your wife’s experience.

13. moodman

moodman Lone Wolf

BTW, I wish, when I started, I'd learned the Moeller method and realized that dynamics are more of an asset than chops.
    When you're my age, you'll have 30 years on the tubs, I'm 72, still gigging.

14. Lazmo

Lazmo Be excellent to each other...

Hey TP, how’s the new practice kit? You must be in heaven. Enjoy the journey.

15. OldeEnglishD

OldeEnglishD Active Member

Congrats man, that is awesome! I was 44 when I started my journey (my oldest son is also learning with me), so I can empathize with you. I was lucky enough to have both a basement and an awesome wife who let me get a kit after my first lesson. The only time she has complained was 35 minutes into my learning the mozembique (When in god's name will you be done hitting the cowbell?!?!). Enjoy the journey my friend, it is a joy!

p.s. and welcome from another Michigander!