Premier Blue Shimmer drumset

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, Oct 27, 2018.

1. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer DFO Veteran

I just picked these up yesterday and cleaned them up today. The sizes are 22, 12, 16, and what I believe is a Premier 2000 model snare drum.

The wrap is in pretty nice shape for its age with some light swirl marks and only a few little blemishes though. The chrome is pretty nice. The bass and floor are mahogany and the rack looks like it is beech or birch possibly looking through the tom mount holes. All three have re-rings.

The snare is kind of heavy and a magnet does not stick to it. There are a few blemishes on the snare and it looks sort of greyish where the chrome has flaked in a few places. Not sure if it a brass drum or aluminum, but I would assume aluminum. It has the long rod through the middle.

The bass pedal is missing the rubber cover plate for the pedal. The hi-hat is missing the upper rod and clutch. It has a pretty cool cymbal mount on the bass which has a mini-boom.

The cymbal stand is nice, the snare stand has some light rust. One of the rubber gaskets on the basket has split and they all 3 seem dry rotted to some degree.

The throne is a Ludwig and is missing the small rubber feet. It is not the most comfortable seat due to its size nand thinner depth.

They came with some leather looking cases. The cases had some serious cigarette smoke smell to them. I washed them in the clothes washer 4 times and left them to dry in the garage and they still carry some smell. I even had vinegar in the washer to help with killing the smell. Much better than they were, but not 100% gone.

From a couple of feet away they look like they just came out of the factory.

I feel very fortunate to have found them.

The heads are smooth EverPlay Extra except forthe well used snare head which is coated.

Does any one have an idea on when they were made? I am assuming early - mid 70's because of the mini-boom cymbal on the bass. The wing nut on it says 1975, but that could have been added later, of course. One of the drums has a serial # in the 900's, the others are all higher.

Attached Files:

2. Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva Well-Known Member

Very nice. The snare looks to be a 2000, the Keith Moon snare, aluminum alloy and Prems answer to Luddalloy. Great vintage look and sound all around

ConvertedLudwigPlayer likes this.
  3. dogmanaut

dogmanaut Very well Known Member

Congrats, man! I actually just picked up a nearly identical kit last week — blue shimmer, but 22/13/14/16 and no snare. Your chrome is definitely in better condition than mine, though!

I believe the mahogany shells were only produced between about ‘71 and ‘76 or thereabouts. There are things to help identify the age more precisely, but I can’t remember what off the top of my head.

That 12” is undoubtedly birch.

4. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thanks for the scoop Frank on the snare. Looking forward to giving it some time on the stand.

5. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thanks Dogmanaut. Feel free to post pictures of your kit.

The hoops are in incredible shape especially. There is some pitting on the lugs, but not bad at all. Some are really nice. Kudo's to Premier on their plating.

Is your 14" a floor tom? If so, I would be happy to work out some sort of a trade for it with my snare.

6. Rhyma Hop

Rhyma Hop Well-Known Member

Looks to be probably between 68' and 72' roughly. The kit's were very similar for several years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. JDA

JDA DFO Master

Yea. 71 beauties. Like a Junior Moon set.
    Logo front bd head is nice and rare to own.

8. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Those are lovely! Congrats! I have had pretty good success with getting stink out of those vinyl cases by putting them in individual trash bags with a box of baking soda. Let them sit for a few days.
    Enjoy!

9. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thanks for posting those RymaHop!

10. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Inteesting idea. Should I sprinkle some inside and outside of the bags? Or will just letting the box be open box be enough to do the job?

11. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thank you!

12. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Beauties! And I've said it before, but Ill say it again - Premier Lokfast stands are some of the coolest ever. I used a hi-hat stands for years, until the bottom screw stripped and I couldn't fold the legs. Should've kept it anyway!!

13. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

I just open the box and twist tie the bag shut. I figured it was good enough for the fridge...

14. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Makes sense. Thanks!

15. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

Great kit! The rack Tom is likely pre international size, which Remo still makes. I buy mine from drum factory direct.

16. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thanks for the scoop. I have not compared it to a regular head yet as I need to win a slotted drum key off EBay before I mess with tuning and taking the heads off. I figure using a screw driver is not ideal and would probably lead me to scracthing up the hoops.

Thanks for the scoop on where to get the heads!

trixonian likes this.
  17. JDA

JDA DFO Master

Bet those are - All International sized. (may be an 'international' (I think it was) Ink stamp on inside

18. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

I will look for that once I can get the heads off and take a peek inside. Good info to know. Thanks!

19. verminator

verminator Very well Known Member

Premier Mahogany kits are some of the best sounding drums ever made. The two I have owned sounded amazing and the build quality was astounding (in a good way). Yours look great.

20. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thanks Verminator!