Premier Blue Shimmer drumset

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by ConvertedLudwigPlayer, Oct 27, 2018.

1. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

I love vintage Premier, I even love the more modern offerings from Premier.
    Been fortunate to own 2 of their sets and several of their snares, including the brilliant 2000 aluminum and a classic Royal Ace..
    That was a fine acquisition and I hope you'll appreciate & enjoy them for many years!

premierAllMetal 2000.jpg Premier2000colorAd.jpg

Trilock_Gurtu likes this.
  2. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

ConvertedLudwigPlayer DFO Veteran

Thanks for the scans Steven. I am looking forward to putting them through their paces soon.

I have noticed the snare is pretty dry. It looks completely stock with the 2 sets of snare wires and heads.

3. Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva Well-Known Member

Take care of the wires, they can be tough to come by.

4. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

True!
    Those fabulous Double Twelve wiresets aren't produced any longer to my knowledge -and if there are any replicas you'd probably only be able to source them from jolly old England.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer likes this.
  5. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

FYI you can still get wires for a 2000 model (although they are one piece instead of two). I just ordered a set from the marching band shop in the UK. The model number is 0655.

However, wires for a royal ace are very hard to find, and costly if you do find them.

6. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Thanks for the scoop!

trixonian likes this.
  7. squidart

squidart Very well Known Member

8. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

I will check the article. I ran my cases through the washer a few times with vinegar, detergent, and a mix of the two. They have been airing out in my garage for about 2 weeks now. I don't noticethe smell wheb walking past them. I will check on them this weekend and see what direction I need to take, if any with them. I found an Olympic Premier HH stand bass and bass pedal which should be on their to me. I am hoping the rod from the Olympic HH stand will fit into the Lokfast stand I have so all of my stands for the kit will be LokFast, if not the Olympic will match very very well, IMO.

squidart likes this.
  9. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Here are a few pictures after I added the Lockfast cymbal stand and hi-hat stand. I have a Premier bass pedal that is missing the rubber covering, and an Olympic pedal that needs some work that I picked up last week.

Attached Files:

Trilock_Gurtu and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  10. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

Looking good!

11. RyanR

RyanR Underaged Curmudgeon

Indeed, these are beauties. The birch Premiers sound quite astounding as well. Plus, when you pop the heads off a Premier drum, any fan of vintage American drums is immediately humbled by the "build quality" of the shells. Sounds are subjective, but Premier was making the best drums on the planet.

Drum keys can be had from Nick Hopkin Drums in the UK. I've had a couple orders from him to support my recent British drum habit. :)

-Ryan

12. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Ryan,

I actually received my drum key from Nick Hopkins on Friday. It is a little thinner than I expected, but it certainly looks cool and does the job. I now have the drums sounding incredible. Very consistent tone at all volume levels, which is something you don't see with all drums. I am pretty sure the heads on my kit are original. They are the Everplay Extra smooth white heads.

I think the Premier Lokfast stands (and the lugs) are so cool. Much less boring than a lot of other stands from the era.

13. drummerbill

drummerbill DFO Master

Congrats on scoring such a beautiful mahogany kit ! Yours looks exactly like mine, but mine is aqua shimmer. My snare drum also has a flo-beam system, but it is matching mahogany construction with beach rerings.
    I re-headed the batter side heads with Aquarian single-ply coateds. PS. Should be all US standard, no pre-international heads needed. Very warm sounding with fat tone. IMHO

Attached Files:

14. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

That is a sweet finish Bill.

Thanks for the insight on the heads. i was wondering if I might have a hard time reheading it at some point.

15. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

The reason I suspect the rack is pre international size is because the rack Tom is birch. If it were mahogany then no issue. I’ve had several premier sets with mixed shells. After the mahogany period they went back again to birch which are all international. But if it’s an old 60’s birch shell then it’s 11 7/8” which means the hoops won’t go over the collar of a regular drum head.

But the good news is that Remo smooth white heads are available in PI sizes, so they’d match the original everplay heads. That what I went with on a lovely premier oyster kit.

16. ConvertedLudwigPlayer

Trixonian, thanks for the insight. I am not very knowledgeable on the PI timelines, etc. So, that is very helpful.

The rack tom is definitely birch.

I would love to see a pic of your oyster kit if you want to post some pictures.

Thanks!

17. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  18. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

As for identifying pre-international drums, the 16's are easy to spot even in photos, because they have 10 lugs. 12's are always birch, never mahogany, but not all birch are PI. So it's hard to say 100% from a photo.

In a pinch you can use normal heads on a 12" PI, because it's undersize and you could retrofit the hoops if necessary. The 16 PI is actually 16 5/16" so they are unusable without proper PI heads.

Now that I'm thinking about this, since your hoops are 70's style, they probably are international size. The 60's hoops have more circular "ears" - commonly called "beer barrel" hoops. The 70's hoops have a more triangular ear, wider at the base.

Most importantly, they are great sounding drums. The 20" mahogany kick drum is amazing. Try it with the reso tuned tight, and it has an amazing punch.

19. Trilock_Gurtu

Trilock_Gurtu Well-Known Member

I got a complete set of Lokfast stands for my B303. My fav vintage stands, very sexy design.

20. RyanR

RyanR Underaged Curmudgeon

Premier seems to have been mahogany for a relatively brief period: Latest 60's through early 1970's. They went back to all birch by 1976.

-Ryan