Question for Ludwig 6 ply owners

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by dexter74, Jan 2, 2019.

1. dexter74

dexter74 Member

I have a line on a 6 ply cortex set. 22/12/13/16". I've read 6 ply tubs are way heavy. I do have a 15" 6 ply tenor that I guess is kinda heavy, but not ridiculous. I gig most weekends, haul my own gear, and am now "middle age" [ugh] and had some back issues last year, so I'm trying to avoid "heavy" drums.

I'm currently gigging a Rogers Big R which aren't quite as light as 3 ply ludwigs, but aren't heavy IMO. Would love to get some feedback from 6 ply owners before pulling the trigger on these. Thanks in advance.

2. Hop

Hop Very well Known Member

I don't have any direct shell weight comparisons, maybe a check on the Ludwig site???

I would just like to suggest getting a cart to help move your drums around and take the load of your back.

3. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Not heavy

4. levelpebble

levelpebble Well-Known Member

I restored a six ply Ludwig Chicago badge kit a year or two ago. It had a 24" bass. I was not sorry to see it go, it was quite heavy.
    On the other hand, I just took in a 9/72 five ply Fullerton Rogers kit with a 24" bass to restore. No comparison, so much lighter.

dexter74 likes this.
  5. charlesm

charlesm Very well Known Member

Had a 6-ply kit for a while. Definitely some heft but not unmanageable. I now have a couple of USA Gretsch kits, one vintage and one newer; with their die-cast hardware, I'd say the Gretches are of comparable weight to the Luds. I never hear people complain much about the weight of Gretsches.

6. James Walker

James Walker Very well Known Member

I've had mine since 1980 or so. I suppose they're a bit heavy, but not to the degree that I even think about it when moving it to/from gigs.