Question on bass drum head selection for 20” Rogers

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by DanRH, Jan 1, 2019.

1. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Hey All,

Played my first gig last night with my newly acquired Rogers red sparkle kit with the 20”. As you may know I’m not a fan of smaller bass drums. They just don’t give me the oomph that I’m used to. That being said, last nights first gig with my 20 inch bass drum left me feeling the same way and I’m thinking that it may have something to do with my head selection. Right now I’m using an Aquarian SKI which is my standard go to for my other kicks however I’m thinking possibly I need a Remo PS3.

So, you Rogers experts, what’s your preferred head of choice for the 20? I always port my drums so I’m not into a tighter jazz tuning but more into a rock/ funk setting. I’m sure it sounded great out front but from behind the kit I still felt like it was tiny as far as sound goes.

2. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

SK1 is usually my choice, or an Evans EMAD. I am not so much a fan of the PS3.

3. pedro navahas

pedro navahas DFO Veteran

PS3 all the way!

4. pedro navahas

pedro navahas DFO Veteran

PS3 clear, coated single ply reso with a felt strip.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  5. cornelius

cornelius Very well Known Member

I don’t have a Rogers kit, but play a 12x20 and 14x20. I don’t use the heavily damped heads, those work better on a 22. My favorite batter is the Evans EQ 4 frosted - but - I tension it up somewhat thight and almost never bury the beater. The sound has a lot of fat tone that sounds great from the throne , and also projects really well.

6. charlesm

charlesm Very well Known Member

A coated Emad on my old Rogers 14x20 sounded astonishingly good...and I mean unreal. Absolutely no problem unmiked in a medium room.

While it isn't a 22" drum or larger, a 20" Rogers kick should still be giving you tremendous impact, volume and low end. That's what they do. If that's not happening, you might have to adjust your tuning.

7. charlesm

charlesm Very well Known Member

Two other things:

1. Superkick heads weren't my favorite on this drum. While the punch and lows were there, I felt like the attack was too muted. Not so with the Emad.

2. Tune the drum up so that it is resonating well with a lot of acoustic energy. "Just-above-wrinkle" tuning, if that's your thing, might not be moving enough air.

8. trappemann

trappemann Very well Known Member

My favorite Rogers 14x20 has a Coated Emperor batter and a Coated Ambassador reso with a felt on the reso.

It is HUGE sounding, feels great, and is tuned low.

9. ThomFloor

ThomFloor Well-Known Member

I play a 14 x 20 bass drum (slingerland). When I got this drum I tried an SK1 and it killed it. That is a very muffled dead drum head IMO.
    Better to go open sounding, a PS3 batter, 1 ply reso, and no pack inside.
    And yes I agree for even more full open sounding, Emperor with felt strip batter.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  10. Powertone

Powertone DFO Veteran

Dan, I know exactly what you are talking about. Yes Rogers 20” bass drums sound fantastic. But when you are used to a Rogers 22” it is a struggle going to a 20”.

I am sure the 20” sounds great out front. I have a couple of 20” kits and have tried all the head combinations mentioned, but always end up going back to that 22” for that behind the kit oomph and feel you are talking about. It’s just that a Clev Rogers 22” is such a joy to play it will spoil you. Bottom line a 20” just doesn’t move as much air as a 22”.

I have also found that the 20” shines in lower volume situations, but may leave you wanting more for your Petty tribute.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

I personally never got the sound I wanted out of a 20 Rogers (Or any other 20 for that matter)
    It wasn't until I played the big brother 22 that I became a believer

12. funkypoodle

funkypoodle DFO Veteran

I've got my 20 sporting a coated eMad & the 22 sporting an SK1 right now & that little 20x14 wins hands down. I admit that the 22 has it's original reso head from '77, but it's also going to get an eMad soon with same Evans level 360 front head and plasti-chrome hole cover. Life's too short not to.

13. mattmalloy66

mattmalloy66 Very well Known Member

Most every reply here will be different.
    After trying a few other combos, my Rogers 20 ended up with Evans EQ4 batter and EQ3 as a reso. Sounds great to me with no other muffling and no port.

14. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Think the recurring theme is no port. Gonna try that.

15. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

It ain't the port that's reducing the tone potential - it's that Superkick batter head.

See post #9 above.

16. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Dan, I was just reading that thread in General about Remo Muff'l's and wondering if that might be what you're after. You could take some of the foam out if the whole ring is too much. Tommy Wells is on record in that thread saying that this configuration gives him much more low end power than self-muffled heads.

17. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

I use an Aquarian SKI on my Rogers 20, and it sounds GREAT! I use an Evans Emad on my Rogers 22, and I think the 20 has more punch.

I use an Aquarian Regulator on both the 20 and 22, unported, mic'd internally. I don't have any additional muffling on the 20, but I put a little foam on the inside of the 22 to reduce the reverberation.

18. kb

kb Very well Known Member

Is the felt ring on a 20" SKI the same width as on a 22" SKI?

19. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Just picked up my first Rogers kid and it's a 12 16 20. I did a gig in early December for the first time using this kid and using Evans eq3 clear batter and eq3 black resonant with a kick port. I had very little cloth inside the drum and they had a very nice boom yet punchy tone. For a loud rock or Blues gig, my go-to would be a sound kick batter but I didn't have one.