Radio King Project Completion

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by thejohnlec, Dec 9, 2018.

1. thejohnlec

thejohnlec Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Very happy to have finished this project. I researched this forum a lot on this restore, and some of you chimed in on an earlier post regarding this as well, and I really learned a ton along the way. Grateful for the vast knowledge on this forum as well as everyone's willingness to share it - thanks!

By the badge, it looks to be a circa 1948. This is a 3-ply instrument that kinda fell into my lap recently. The strainer has a couple non-original parts, so if anyone has a period-correct strainer arm and sliding plate, I may be interested in a trade or purchase. It’ll take a while for the tone to open up, but I can hear a solid player in this one at some point. Thrilled to have an RK in the herd once again - I sold one some time ago and often regretted it.

Cheers everyone!

Attached Files:

2. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

That is sweet!

3. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Lovely. How did you clean the wrap? And what are the chances you will try to "fix" the throw handle?

4. thejohnlec

thejohnlec Well-Known Member

Sorry, got busy with Christmas and just saw this reply. I used a 4 step headlamp lens cleaner from Turtle Wax that I got from Advance Auto Parts. It removed about 60% - 70% of the yellowing and left just enough to retain an antique look while getting it cleaned up nicely. Didn't want to go the lacquer thinner route, as it seemed to be too destructive for my tastes.

I'm open to getting some period-correct replacement parts for the throw at some point, but it's playable now. I have a few other instruments I want to work on before I seriously research the parts I'll need - the other projects will need a few pieces as well.

Cheers...

5. Marquisjohnson22

Marquisjohnson22 DFO Veteran

I like this snare... nice addition.