REAL Honky Tonk Country Music (and vintage drums) at Cowboy Country in Long Beach CA this weekend 9/

Discussion in 'Gigs' started by markrocks68, Sep 19, 2018.

1. markrocks68

markrocks68 Very well Known Member

Hi all
    My kick ass Honky Tonk Country Dance band is doing 2 BIG nights at Cowboy Country in Long Beach CA this Friday & Saturday night Sept 21 & 22.
    This place is a REAL DEAL country dance hall and actually kinda famous as Urban Cowboy & Thelma & Louise were filmed there.
    It's actually a HUGE night club with 2 dance floors, 3 bars, a huge stage, a kitchen for vittles, tons of seating, a DJ booth, gift shop, and on Friday night they pull out the mechanical bull!
    It's a really cool place run by really cool music loving folks. The 5.00 cover helps SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC and there are FREE dance lessons at 7 & 8 pm.
    Downbeat 9 pm & we go to 1 am! DJ spins country dance music between sets so if you love to dance country, you are gonna DIG this place!
    My band Three Chord Justice plays OLD school country music & original country music influenced by the greats.
    We do everything from Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, JC, Buck Owens, Emmy Lou Harris, George Jones, hell, we even cover a Jason & The Scorchers tune!
    My wife is the singer & rhythm guitarist (that's her in the pic) and we have some really incredible musicians playing with us this weekend.
    And Saturday night is the End of Summer Luau party!

Not sure what kit's I'm bring but maybe a Oyster & Sparkling Pearl..
    The drums are fully microphoned up too.. :laughing4:

Check out the links & if any SoCal folks come out PLEASE say HI to the drummer!

http://www.threechordjustice.us

http://www.cowboycountry.mu

Attached Files:

2. green glass drum

green glass drum Very well Known Member

Was it called the "Silver Bullit Saloon" at one time?

3. markrocks68

4. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

Markrock68, sounds like an excellent time. Great news.
    I wanted to just add some clarification ... that if you're referencing the Travolta "Urban Cowboy" film ... that was shot at Mickey Gilley's place in Texas. I spent some time there and played Gilley's during that phase of my life. It burned down later, which was a shame. But what a place! So much activity in such a large venue. Mickey was a great host to us and I remember that time fondly.

5. markrocks68

Thanks man! Would have loved to check that place out but before my time. It's all new to me at CC. Some older folks there last time mentioned that movie being filmed there as well. It's a really cool club regardless. And the pay is decent.

6. marko52

marko52 Piper At the Gates of Dawn

This sounds great, Mark! Would love to play in an authentic big honky tonk dance hall! Those burgundy Ludwigs would definitely do the job! Looks like you've got quite a few gigs lined up--hope they all go well..........marko btw, my honky tonk band is called " Three Chords & the Truth"

7. markrocks68

Nice!
    I'm going to use some 22" kicks this weekend methinks.
    No need for a little jazz set here!
    All it takes to write a country song is.. ;-)