Removing Bubbles in Modern Wrap - Result of Excessive Heat

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by KCDrumDad, Aug 19, 2016.

1. KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad Very well Known Member

I have the opportunity to buy some three year old Ludwigs which have suffered some heat related wrap bubbling. Each drum has a single long bubble about half a panel away from the seam (see picture). I would be buying these because of the wrap - reissued Galaxy Sparkle - so saving the wrap is key. I have read about various approaches, but most seem to apply to vintage drums. Any ideas on a three year old wrap offered by Ludwig? I only have one shot at fixing these, so need to be relatively sure it is going to work. I don't really want a set of new drums that I need to rewrap.
    Galaxy Sparkle bubble in wrap.jpg

2. KCDrumDad

KCDrumDad Very well Known Member

Update. I decided to pass, so no longer need ideas on how to fix them.

3. mkelley

mkelley Very well Known Member

Bumping an old thread.

Got a used kit in the same finish as galaxy sparkle and the bass has bubbles too. Any idea how to smooth it all out? Hair dryer?

4. stickinthemud

stickinthemud DFO Master

I think a hair dry would just exacerbate the problem. I think two things are going on with heat bubbling: the glue failing and the wrap expanding. I can't imagine any way back from that.

5. mlayton

mlayton Night Creature

Must have been something with the wrap or the backing? I have two drums with this wrap from a few years back. They also have the bubble thing going on. Strange.

Mike

6. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

Every time I've seen bubbling of a wrap, it's always been either solid Black or Black Diamond Pearl. And now, this Black Galaxy Sparkle. Coincidence?

7. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

I know this is an old thread but yes, just about everything black soaks up the heat.

sherm

8. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig DFO Veteran

I have a set of 2008 Ludwig CMs in WMP and they are bubbling, too. That includes the bass drum, FT, tom tom, and snare. I am very unhappy, but Ludwig basically said, "Tough poop." I really like my CMs, but I may never buy another Ludwig set because of the problem. I bought my Rogers set used, kept them for 35 years, and never had a problem with the wrap blistering.