Removing paint from drum wrap

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by MagnusNordén, Aug 14, 2015.

1. MagnusNordén

MagnusNordén Active Member

I have an early 1960s Gretsch RB 12, 14, 20 kit (Progressive Jazz). I got it at a good price because it has been painted maroon. It is WMP underneath. Now, I have been thinking of trying to remove the paint from the wrap.

I have read about people having done this with graffiti removal products like Motsenbocker's lift off nr 4. However, I live in Sweden and am having big problems finding equivalent products here. Motsenbocker's product range does not seem to be offered in Europe, and having it shipped to Sweden from the US is prohibitively expensive.

Any other ideas for products available in the EU would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Magnus

2. DBreaker

DBreaker Member

I removed black spray paint from a drum wrap and it came out great. I used Acetone in the can. You've got to be careful with it, though, it's very strong. Use thick gloves or multi-layered nitrile gloves to protect your skin, and use it in well ventilated area, preferably outdoors. Try not to breathe it in. Do it in sections at a time to minimize exposure to it, or it may make you light-headed and feel like crap. Anyway, it worked well. After it removes the paint, I'd use a nice plastic polish on it to remove Acetone residual and give it a nice safe shine. Hope that helps.

3. MagnusNordén

Thanks for sharing, DBreaker. I still haven't made up my mind as to whether I will try to remove the paint or not.

Best,

Magnus

4. retrosonic

retrosonic DFO Veteran

Magnus,

If you got a good deal on the set, why not just rip the old wrap off and rewrap in whatever color you like best? You'll end up with a MUCH better looking set. Trying to get maroon paint off of WMP sounds like it would never will look white again to me.

Spend $400 on new wrap from Precision and have a brand new looking set!!

5. MagnusNordén

retrosonic, that is actually what I am thinking of doing some time in the future. That would also make it possible to repair the big hole for tom mounts in the bass drum.

I'd love this kit in Black Nitro. Or WMP...

But I don't think I could do this myself, neither the rewrap, nor the repair work on the bass.

/Magnus

6. notnowhamelin

notnowhamelin New Member

Hi guys ,
    I have a 50's radio king tom that has been painted over black. I'm trying to save the wrap underneath (gold sparkle) but it seems as though every product I've used, including the 3m safest stripper (which i had to order from the states as i'm in Canada... i have the same problem as magnus in that ordering the Motsenbocker's lift off is super pricey) is either ineffective or has made the wrap soft/ gummy and now I've dug into the wrap a bit unfortunately. super frustrating as you all know. it was a military drum and i'm wondering what the hell kind of paint this could possible be ...lacquer thinner doesn't seem to work ...i'm totally frustrated and at a loss. i feel like i could save it if i put in a bunch more work... any help would appreciated. thanks very much!

also...any help on possibly restoring the wrap would be great if i can manage to get all the paint off ...
    what would i use to re-coat the wrap?