Ridiculous offers made for vintage gear

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by Hobbs, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Hobbs

Hobbs Well-Known Member

Well, the last thing I want to do is resurrect last night's back-n-forth with this guy (Let sleeping dogs lie ...). I'm not sure if he owns one now or just wants to feed his "nostalgia" on the very cheap (I used Steve's Inflation Calculator tip : the drum would be nearly $800 in today's $'s : his response was that "the model T will never come back in style as with the _____"). Did I want to inform him that there sure as *hitty *hitty Bang Bang would be enough people out there with ready cash for a vintage Model T, but I didn't want to blow his last and final cylinder.

And that line of questioning asking for his ____ for $200 would no doubt have unintended consequences. Like, say, he'd want an even trade for his beat up non-functional drum for my near mint one. And I have to say this for him : he was very polite about everything (didn't see it this way at first); even when I was mocking his malfunctioning logic. We left on good terms. In today's world how many times can you say that things ended well after dipping south?

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Well-Known Member

... but mine's bigger! And I don't want to have to lays eyes on his.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Well-Known Member

I ignore as well. However, there are times when they contact you about not addressing their offer. Did this for the same listing for another low-baller. I told him I wasn't looking for a dance partner. I'd step all over his toes!

BennyK likes this.
  4. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

" Simply rude " .... ?? in some cultures haggling is as natural as scratching your a** . I define a culture as a group of people sharing a similar world view , attending that church with a dollar sign atop the steeple .

5. p83

p83 DFO Veteran

at the end of the day, if you say you will accept offers - then you must. then either take the deal or not. saying ''no low ballers'' is a waste of time. one man's lowball offer is.............well, you know the rest.

6. komodobob

komodobob DFO Master

I think I've heard this story before. A person who wants to own what you have, makes a low ball offer and when you reject it, for obvious reasons, they attempt to educate you about the "true value" of your gear.

I've said it once and I'll say it again,.....that just doesn't pass the sniff test.

7. ThomFloor

ThomFloor Well-Known Member

OK but its not a Moroccan bazaar. Its c/list or eBay or reverb.....

Hobbs likes this.
  8. Hobbs

Hobbs Well-Known Member

You simply cannot haggle with 90% of buyers like this. This case exemplifies this precisely : he 1st offered $200 ... I countered ... and he came back at exactly $200. He's not haggling. He's delusional.

lossforgain and komodobob like this.
  9. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

If you don't ask, you don't get, Low ballers are a matter of the market. I have gotten some bargains by making an offer. I have been rejected. Part of the game. Just tell them No Thanks. and forget it. Not worth any more response.

10. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Selling cars I have always said “hey I understand if this isn’t the right one for you. I won’t be offended. If you can find one this year/miles/condition for the price you want to pay, that’s great. This one is worth more than that and priced fairly (or below market). If you want this one, I’m happy to help you take it home, if you don’t then I wish you the best in your search.”

11. cwdrums

cwdrums Very well Known Member

Yep I totally agree. I have low balled and been low balled. Don't take it personally and move on - I know, sometimes easier said than done.
    Coy

12. TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany Very well Known Member

Sure are a lot of guys in here admitting to getting balled! :p

13. dead_head

dead_head Since DCI

I always just ignore them Nothing get's under their fingernails like being ignored.