RIP Hal Blaine

Discussion in 'General' started by messineo21, Mar 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. moodman

moodman Lone Wolf

Hal's drumming will never be gone.

Johnny D and Spongebob like this.
  2. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

Unfortunately, that video is no longer available. I'll continue looking around for a digital version.

3. sptucker

sptucker Well-Known Member

Rest for 16 bars and salute. Thank you Hal.

4. KevinD

KevinD Well-Known Member

Not only was Hal a great drummer, his contribution to the craft and to the Entertainment industry is well known. But he was an incredibly entertaining person as well (as evidenced by the Dom F interview). He had a million Hollywood stories, and was literally at the center of some of the most groundbreaking musical events of the 20th Century...(MAYBE a handful of people in the world can say they were even somewhat involved with Steely Dan, Sinatra and Elvis at any level!!!) In addition to that, he rubbed elbows with most of the of the other greats of the era. (strangely, I saw him on a late night infomercial about 20 years ago hawking a product that would clear one's ears on airliners).
    In any case, while many will mourn, I think Hal's lived a life that calls for celebration as well.

5. mtarrani

mtarrani DFO Master

It's still available, but must be played on Youtube because the person posted it disabled playing on sites other than Youtube. When you click on it here and get the error message, it provides a link to go to Youtube and watch it.

6. trixonian

trixonian DFO Master

Some great things being said in his tribute here.

I didn't notice a mention of his "Drums A Go Go" album; it includes some tasty solos.

7. Ptrick

Ptrick Well-Known Member

mtarrani likes this.
  8. Paradiddle

Paradiddle DFO Veteran

That video is great.

9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Love some of these vids - question - where did The Great One mount his tambourine? I can't find pics of the kit with a tambourine......? Thanks.

10. ken3737

ken3737 Active Member

I attended one of Hal’s stops on his first book tour — in Sacramento in the mid-90’s. Hal strode onto the stage in a small auditorium in front of a couple hundred drummers. Much applause, Hal took the mic & said:
    “I used to look like a Greek God!”
    (pause for dramatic affect) “Now I just look like a goddam Greek!!”
    Lots of laughter. He didn’t play drums that day, but kept us entertained with great stories. RIP...

JazzDrumGuy likes this.
  11. Ptrick

Ptrick Well-Known Member

Saw a clinic 20 years ago with Hal. Had the monster setup with all the Toms. Told stories for an hour, sits down on the kit, plays “boom bap, boom boom bap” and then plays a drum fill using all the toms. Says “that’s all the playing I’ve got in me today, any questions?” Then went on to talk and answer questions for another 45 minutes. Probably one of the best clinics I’ve ever been to!

JazzDrumGuy likes this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

Curious about the tambourine as well... I suspect he didn’t play it, or if he did it was on a separate track.

Great sound none the less. And played perfectly in the pocket of the song. Tambourine looms large in so many great songs of that era. Beatles, Monkeys, Beach Boys.

13. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Yes. We are doing Can't Help Falling in Love in April so I'm learning it and sad to hear it was a Hal tune......sounds just like brushes on the snare but I will incorporate a tambourine in his honor.....