Rogers 18" Floor tom conversion

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by mainedrummer, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mainedrummer

mainedrummer Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about doing this conversion for several years. I bought the set in '71 and the number of times I've been on a stage big enough to use this floor tom have been few. I'd guess I've actually used the drum 1/2 a dozen times. A couple of weeks about I saw a post in the Ebay thread with some pictures of a converted 18" floor tom. I liked what I saw, followed through and completed the conversion in one weekend. Last night I played the set at a blues rehearsal and was super pleased with how the drum sounded as a bass. Many thanks to bizrad for the ideas he showed me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

Looking good. Any issue with the splay on the rods using the FT lugs? Looks like it is working ok.

3. bkalebjian

bkalebjian Very well Known Member

Dude they're perfect! I'm glad you did the conversation using all the era-correct parts... it really is a tasteful mod and works out perfectly! Here are the pictures of mine...

4. bkalebjian

bkalebjian Very well Known Member

5. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

The super simple conversion works out very well for this 16x18, too. The tom used to make my bass drum is an abused 60's or 70's Slingerland. Leedy lugs dropped right into the existing Sound King lug holes. The 7x11 Leedy tom is pre World War Two. The 12x16 Leedy marching tenor to floor tom conversion is from the 1950's. I wrapped the drums in White 3D Floatin Bubble Moire before I found the matching Oaklawn Camco Tuxedo snare in original matching wrap. Karmabrought these drums together.

6. mainedrummer

mainedrummer Well-Known Member

None, it was a perfect fit.

7. Daninflag

Daninflag Member

8. Daninflag

Daninflag Member

I am looking at doing the same thing, I have a Rogers 18 ft with 4 legs. I was thinking of using tom mounts that dont have the angle the leg mounts do, Due to the mount locations are slightly different than the actual 18 bass drum. I would like to hear from you! Thank you! I can see you have the regular leg mounts.

9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Nice. Are you using a riser? What about legs for the front? How is it above the ground

10. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

I did the same thing with my late 80's 16x18 Ludwig floor tom; waited years and glad I did, has an amazing bass drum sound. I went whole hog and changed the bass drum heads, bass drum rims, lug bolts and found some cute mini claws. I'm using "L" arms for legs from the original FT Leg mounts and a Dixon Riser.

Don't know why I waited so long to make the change. If any one has an 18" Floor Tom collecting dust like mine was, go ahead and make the change now. Most of my gigs are small venue and that little 18" bass gets 90% of my gigs. I only use my 16x22 in large halls and outdoor gigs.