Rogers experts, did I get a deal?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by DanRH, Dec 29, 2018.

1. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Not sure if you saw my thread in the General section, but in case not, I picked up a 20/13/16 red sparkle kit today for $750 in pretty good shape. Here's the kicker, the toms are Dayton's and bass drum is Fullerton. A little rash on the 13 and the previous owner put a second Rogers script badge on the 13. I kind of like that but I know that affects the value. I don't care really.

Also, the bass drum rods have the old Dayton./Cleveland T rods, not the Fullerton's. Like I said the wrap is in good shape except for rash on the muffler panel, but it's not too bad.

00O0O_1VhSBjWQL7U_600x450.jpg 00G0G_2K2sBViNMon_600x450.jpg 00S0S_83pMKuQ2RUC_600x450.jpg 00Z0Z_aZfTOA48MGP_600x450.jpg

2. mattmalloy66

mattmalloy66 Very well Known Member

I like it a lot! Not a Rogers expert, but I have some insight.
    I would have gladly paid that price for those drums. Not a steal, but a good deal.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  3. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

Not to worry. I would have no problem with the "oddities" for tags or double script badge. Often kits were put together with with mixed tags from the factory when moves were made.

Double badges on toms were not uncommon, allowing either the badge to show with both single and double tom mounted.

Price is fair with wrap in good condition and shiny. Especially if you have the single long tom arm included.

shuffle likes this.
  4. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

Depending on the numbers that's could very well all be factory original kit. Looks nice, good deal for sure.

5. pedro navahas

pedro navahas DFO Veteran

I am not a Rogers expert but, wouldn’t the placement of the tom mount on the bass indicate a double tom?

6. DanRH

I believe so.

7. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    That mount on the bass was either custom added (plant or dealer, etc) or was swapped in to replace a 'Londoner' twin-tom mount, which was the only catalogued mount used in that location at that time.

It looks a little off-center, it was probably added post-delivery.

The t's on the bass are worth more than correct Fullerton t's you need to replace them.

Depending on when that tom was made, 2 badges might be original, unless you see plain evidence that it was added.

I love a 22-13-16 setup in Rogers...

shuffle likes this.
  8. DanRH

I too love my 22/13/16 blue onyx Holiday kit. We’ll see...

fibes3 likes this.
  9. trappemann

trappemann Very well Known Member

Dan
    If you'd like Fullerton Ts and claws, I can swap you.

Is the bass drum interior speckled?

Anything is possible. Remember that when it all moved to Fullerton, tractor trailer loads of stuff went West. Might have been a box of those Ts and claws, etc., etc. etc.

CBS wanted to make money, not instruments.

10. shuffle

shuffle DFO Master

The thing ive found from refurbing Rogers sets is no matter what era is used,the sound is consistent.
    Nice score,Dan

11. DanRH

No, I'm good with the T's. I know for a fact the previous owner swapped them out to much a 22 he had that was Dayton as a double bass drum kit.Yes, the bass drum is speckled. I don't care...I'm really itching to play this puppy. I have a gig with my Petty band next Saturday but a 20" bass drum and Petty??? Just doesn't seem right. We'll see.

12. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

Hi Dan!

Great score on the Rogers kit! I think you did good with the price. As others have already mentioned, parts were put on drums until stock was used up. Many feel that the change from Cleveland to Dayton should mean a change in the bass drum T rods and claws. Basically true, but not until the supply of the older tympani style rods and claws were used up. I don't really think the addition of the second badge on the 13" will hurt the value. This is what was done in the Fullerton era, but not immediately. The owner probably just liked double badges. Nothing wrong with that!

As to the collet plate on the bass drum, it's not for a double-tom mount. A completely different plate was used for the double-tom setup. I will say that a collet plate in that position is just a bit odd. I guess it could have been used for a straight hex cymbal arm. Anything is possible! Just enjoy your Rogers drums!

-Mark

13. idrum4fun

idrum4fun DFO Veteran

Dan,

Completely forgot to mention that I have a complete set of 16 Dayton/Fullerton era T-rods and claws. I know there is a slight difference in the claw used in Fullerton. I need to check my claws and see which they are. PM me if interested!

-Mark

14. drummertom

drummertom DFO Veteran

I’d definitely keep the bow tie T rods! I like them much better than the later version.

15. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Much more mojo in the faucet handles. I guess it's the 20" bass (or kick) that makes that 13" look huge. I've said before, my Big R 13" needed both heads the same tension to open up. Red sparkle is my favorite. Or is it blue? Ace
    P.S. It's a rule that that set have the Swivomatic tom holder.

16. DanC

DanC "Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"

Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
    Dan, that 20" kick will surprise you. I use one most of the time, and it's a powerful drum. 20" Rogers basses provide much more oomph than folks expect...

tommykat1 likes this.
  17. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

I love red sparkle kits so I think it's a good deal. My Rogers kit I will be playing on New Year's is a 12 16 20 and the bass has the same mount location. I only have a short arm so the 12 sits slightly off from the exact angle I want and a little farther away but it still works.....good one....

18. Mongrel

Mongrel Very well Known Member

Dan, I have a Dayton badged 13" tom, ser. #12223. The paper tag has TOWER covered with ink (still legible) and "Holiday" written in above it. I have owned this tom since 1978 and it has two script badges on it-one on either side of the tom mount.

My own theory is that the tom could be used in either a one-up configuration or a two-up configuration and the badge would face forward either way...

Nice score you just made.

19. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

Double badging provided lefty or righty one-up flexibility, too. If the drums were mine, I'd either use a Swivomatic tom arm with the receiver in its current location or, most probably, I'd use that receiver for a cymbal mount and install another Swivo receiver in the drummer's 10:00 or 11:00 position closer to the batter side. If the Swivo mount is properly installed, no one but you will know that it was added. Music stores--especially drum shops installed the mounts wherever the drummer wanted them placed.

20. bob

bob DFO Master

nice drum set .... when you selling her ? .....

xsabers likes this.