ROGERS Londoner-Six outfit... photos

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by EvEnStEvEn, Oct 22, 2018.

1. SwivoNut

SwivoNut DFO Master

XP-8s were made from 1979 up until 1984 when Rogers went out of business. They had clear interiors and no rerings and featured the same MemriLoc hardware as the Big Rs. They're great drums and a steal at that price.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  2. bob

bob DFO Master

even .... i'm no expert , but i have a 22x14 big r bass drum that sounds as good or better than any 22x14 i've played ... mine is also black

EvEnStEvEn and Roch like this.
  3. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

As others have said, the snare is an import, but the other drums are 1980 XP8s from Monrovia. That was the short time that serial numbers were not used. $250 is a steal. Throw the snare in the trash on the way out.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  4. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

WHAT! Sell the snare for a tank of gas for the pickup drive home.

tommykat1 and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  5. Roch

Roch DFO Master

I picked up a set a while back..I posted about them, being the exact kit I owned over 30 years ago..They are great sounding drums..probably one of the most under valued sets on the market..I didn't appreciate them back in the 70's as I was young, inexperienced ...I sure love the sound now

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  6. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

I read somewhere that Big R drums have the best chrome. Some consider the XP8 shells the best also. I am one that thinks the small toms needs RIMS mounts. You can certainly put any snare with the set. I would use a deep one though. My Big R bass drum sucked until I put a SK1 batter on it. Ace

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  7. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

I've read each & every reply with interest & appreciation gang, many thanks for the immense help!

I drove to OKC and got 'em today, they look fine, no holes or funny stuff. a few scratches, no gouges, no chrome pitting but plenty of schumtz & grime to remove.

It's indeed a Londoner Six outfit in piano black cortex and Yep, the badge appears to be the "no serial' version from 80-81. Kit's essentially all there with xp8 shells, alum FT legs & Memriloc hardware, tom mounts, arms & spurs.
    Just missing some T-rods & claws. please PM if ya got extras, I'll be looking for some.

Stay tuned, final pics coming....

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:51 AM
    Radio King, bob and mlayton like this.
  8. bob

bob DFO Master

i have some spare t rods you can have .... might have a claw too ....
    send a pic. of the t rod and claw you need ....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  9. EvEnStEvEn

wow, bob, that would be Super!
    I've replied to your PM
    Here's a pic of the rod & claw, rods have the circular R embedded on the end of each T handle.

rogers bd.jpg

10. bob

bob DFO Master

do these look right ?

Attached Files:

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  11. EvEnStEvEn

Yes sir!
    Would be perfect for my needs.
    Your claw is different but I'd be installing them on the pedal side anyway.

12. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Steven, if you don't end up getting RIMS mounts you might end up cutting the tubes shorter so they don't extend into the drum much more than necessary. Ace

13. EvEnStEvEn

Thanks Terry, that may be an option for optimum resonance. In the meantime I'll see how the stock mounting works.

14. 73Rogers

73Rogers Well-Known Member

Before you cut the tubes, try sticking a rubber stopper from your local home depot in the end of the tube inside the tom. See how that sounds before you cut. While you're there, pick up a bottle of Howard's Feed and Wax. Put that on the inside of the shells. It's a mix of carnauba and beeswax that will protect and seal the interior (smells great too!). You're going to love these drums. Post pics!

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  15. EvEnStEvEn

^Will Do, sir!^ appreciate the suggestion!

16. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

EvEn, you may need to end up doing both: cutting the tubes and putting cork or rubber stoppers inside. From the beginning, in 1980, I always felt that the drums were a bit "choked" but I couldn't figure out why. In a discussion with Tommy Wells a few years back, he talked about how the tube choking on both Rogers and Pearl in the late 70s (I think that's what he was endorsing) necessitated putting the toms in baskets. Soon after, RIMS mounts became popular.

You'll find that when you hold an XP8 tom in your hand and hit it with a stick, it will sing sweetly and loudly. But, after mounting, it will be dry and choked, ESPECIALLY the 13" for some reason. (You may find you'll be tuning around that 13, as it has the narrowest tuning range, IMHO.)

Cutting the tubes and corking them helped massively, but RIMS mounts or baskets would be even better.

Note: Since I've had my drums since new, I didn't actually cut the original tubes! I bought some off eBay, and cut those. You'll find the XP8 hardware is reasonably priced on the Interwebs.

Some pics, including a closeup of the tubes before being cut and corked:

XP8 & Gina Close Up From back.jpg

XP8 & Gina Zoomed.jpg

XP10 & XP8 Collage.jpg

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  17. EvEnStEvEn

Shazzam, Tommy!!
    I've always admired your dazzling sunburst finish XP-8 kit with the unique Gina snare drum and it's fascinating backstory.
    I'll be returning to this thread often as my project progresses to experiment with the tube cutting & plugging tips you've all shared.
    BTW~how much of the tube did you guys cut off and how much cork or rubber do you use to plug the tubes?....also, how or why does that help with the sustain?
    Thanks again!

18. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

First, I set the toms up where I want them, and lock the Memrilocs in position--these settings never change for me. Then I disassemble, and cut the tubes right to the edge of where they come through the tom holders on the interior of the shells. For corks, I think I used champagne corks. Or maybe it was sherry. Sheesh! I don't think wine corks have a big enough diameter!

What we've discovered is the massive intrusion of metal tubes inside the drums chokes them pretty severely. Isolation mounts or baskets work the best, but cutting and corking as described works pretty darn well.

Back in the day, there wasn't much thought given to this, plus the desired drum sound was more muted. Today, I think the preferred sound is wide open. Ironically, those 30-plus year old seasoned 8 ply New England rock maple shells with 45 degree bearing edges--measured on a perfectly flat table--are way ahead of their time, but the hardware, as advanced as it was with Memriloc innovation, interfered with the perfect sound.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  19. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

Killer deal for killer drums !! A trophy for the Okie !!

I love the yellowed interiors .... extra da-wooom .

20. Troyh

Troyh Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Nice score Steven. You guys are amazing!