ROGERS Londoner-Six outfit... photos

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by EvEnStEvEn, Oct 22, 2018.

1. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Yep, leave the bass drum pipe in place! As Ace noted, it doesn't choke the drum. My 22" XP8 is about the best sounding bass drum I have. The 1967 Swivo 20" is close, and my 18" Gretsch Renown is third. I have a 1967 Swivo 22" and it is adequate, though not particularly thunderous.

2. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Okay I've handled, inspected & polished over 50 of these Rogers beavertail lug casings today and I must say I'm astounded at the superior quality of their chromium plating, they're 40 years old yet they look brand new! Easily on par with the very best chrome plating I've ever seen. Darn impressive!

Roch likes this.
  3. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

What's amazing is the Swivomatic products also have a high degree of quality. The stuff is just bulletproof. You can go sixty years or more without having to change anything out. And I'd argue that the plating in the late 50s is superior to any I've ever seen since.

Here's a 1958 cocktail kit with both Eagle and "pirate" badges:

1 Spotlight Full Image.jpg

2 Spotlight Close In.jpg

3 Spotlight Snare.jpg

Rockin' Billy and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  4. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Plus the nuts, bolts, screws etc. are SAE sizes that can be bought at hardware stores. The strainers are rock solid also. Ace

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  5. EvEnStEvEn

Over 2 weeks since the purchase and I'm calling this project Done, essentially!

1980-81 Rogers Londoner Six XP-8 outfit 22, 12, 13, 14, 16"

ROGERS 007.jpg ROGERS 001.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    bob and shuffle like this.
  6. EvEnStEvEn

The Details:

I could've finished these sooner but took my time & and waited for some missing T-rods & claws from our generous drumbros, Bob & Squidart, Thanks, gents!

Essentially gang, this set was absolutely filthy when I picked them up, so I had plenty of cleaning & polishing ahead of me.
    We're talking duct tape residue, electrical tape residue, grime, dust & finger-schmutz galore on every shell and all chrome.
    Fortunately there weren't any deep gouges in the cortex wrap, but still a number of scratches to buff out & polish away. Of course the BD hoops were gouged and missing paint so I spent a good amount of time making them presentable again. Thankfully the original chrome inlay was still intact.

At the suggestion of our resident Rogers gurus I cut down the tom mount pipes and the spur pipes while gladly ridding myself of a pound-and-a-half of unnecessary pipeage (see above pic)

The seller had kindly installed new G2 coated batters all 'round so that was one less expense. I installed new BD heads & Remo Ebony resonant tom bottoms.

After many hours of meticulous cleaning of each shell & component, I waxed & polished the shells using an electric buffer and some "European Car Formula Wax & Paint Restorer" to achieve a deep black gloss.

Gonna clamp that 10x14" from a cymbal stand to be played as a hanging floor tom since I'd never venture to play it as a Tri-Tom configuration like the wacky catalog illustration shows.

Thanks, friends, for all the Rogers information & helpful suggestions. They sound good so far!

ROGERS 011.jpg

Roch, shuffle and squidart like this.
  7. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Those prettied right up! I bet you're plumb out of elbow grease. Enjoy!

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  8. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Great kit at a fantastic price!

shuffle and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  9. drummertom

drummertom DFO Veteran

Nicely done! The kit looks great.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  10. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Very nice work and great to see. I haven't found any Reso feet that fit the FT legs, but you can find something to set the feet ON to do the same thing. Suggestions anyone? Did the 13" tune up well? Maybe the full appreciation will come with setting up. There are Rogers stands out there that hold a single Big R tom, but a regular stand is good too, but you have a big vent hole. LoL Ace
    P.S. Did you put something in the pipes?

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  11. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

Kevin...I respect your knowledge of vintage drums and their manufacturers. However, you are wrong here. The "original" Rogers company DID NOT GO UNDER. CBS got rid of every non broadcasting company they owned. This included selling the New York Yankees to Steinbrenner in 1973. They sold most of the Motion Picture holdings and recording companies to Sony in the late 1980's. CBS disposed of it's musical instruments division by selling off individual brands one by one.Those companies included Gulbranson organs, Rodgers church organs, Gemeinhardt flutes, Lyon and Healy harps. Rogers drums and Rhodes keyboards were CBS companies that CBS entrusted their Fender division to manage. Bill Schultz was assigned the chore of selling off Fender, Rogers, and Rhodes. He sold Rhodes to Roland. Rogers was sold to Island Music. Island used the famous name to bring cheap crappy drums to the market. Island damn near killed the brand name. Rogers drums did not GO UNDER when owned by the original owner--the Rogers family, nor their successors--Grossman, nor CBS--Fender, Rogers, Rhodes division. Mr. Schultz was a true visionary. He was part of the original marketing and sales team that introduced Yamaha musical instruments to the American market. Bill put together a group of Fender employees and some of our dealers and distributors to complete a leveraged buyout of Fender from CBS. I was privileged to be part of that group.

12. SwivoNut

SwivoNut DFO Master

The Rogers tom holder will accommodate three arms. On 5-piece sets with two toms up, the 3rd hole is plugged with a white plastic insert. If you need such a plug, you can find one that will work very satisfactorily at your nearest Ace Hardware. The photo shows the original Rogers plug on the right and the Ace part on the left. Once inserted into the tom holder, only the top of either Insert2.JPG plug shows.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  13. EvEnStEvEn

Thankyou, Terry,
    Yes the 13" sounds fine, I tuned both batter & reso the same at your suggestion. Same with the 12" & 16".
    The toms all sound good to me as/is for now with coated Evans G2s as batters, Ebony Ambassadors for resos on both high toms & a coated Emperor as a resonant on the 16".

As for the inner pipes, I might shoot some of that expanding foam insulation that comes in a spray can into each pipe, I bet that'd work great don't you think? I used a pipe-cutter to cut the excess length from each pipe but left 'em unplugged for now.
    All the toms sing fine so I probably won't pursue any further isolation methods like makeshift iso-feet or Gauger RIMS mounts. I'll leave it all stock.

I haven't added-in the 10x14" yet, I'm gonna put an Ebony Amb reso on it today and try mounting it to a cymbal stand using a dogbone clamp.
    I'm on the hunt for a FT leg MemriLoc clamp as one leg has lost it's clamp. Gotta have that because the innermost leg tilts cockeyed without the ML clamp....Argh.

14. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Dave Drew might have that part. Ace

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  15. EvEnStEvEn

Well looky what I found in my parts stash - a Rogers external clip muffler from the 70s!
    Works perfectly to tame the 16" FT just enough for my liking.
    I knew I'd been hanging on to this doo-dad for 35 years for a reason.

ROGERS.jpg

16. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

TOO COOL !!! I kept a Tama soft stool top in a closet for about 25 years and one day found the chrome base on E-bay for ten bucks. Hey, I never cut the pipes inside of my bass drum. I might look into that. Also I think that coated heads are good to reduce the impact of the XP8 power shells. Top heads at least. I thought I had an extra Memriloc clamp but can't find it. I like that your set has all Rogers rims. So many of them have generics or something else. Rogers have a very distinctive shape of the ears at the t-rod holes. The rims are not too heavy and not too light. You gonna play that bass drum with a Ghost pedal? That would be cool. Ace

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  17. EvEnStEvEn

Ha! that stupid Kickport came pre-installed in the only spare 22" front head I had here, both the head & port were new, but when I slid the spur-pipes in, the right-side pipe wouldn't clear that dang port so I went to town on both spurs with a pipecutter, lol.

You say all the counterhoops appear to be Rogers? Wow, that's good to know, except I don't think all the bottom ones are. They look to be generic replacements along with many of the tuning rods. See, I suspect this kit spent years without bottom heads, as many sets from the 1970s did. I could tell by the dirty finger smudges around the bottoms of each tom interior and the marks & scars inside the BD that some bonehead had evidently carried all their stands/hardware inside the bass drum and probably lost all the original bottom rims and tension rods. Also there was black electrical tape residue on every bottom tom lug casing since the lug inserts probably rattled without their bottom hoops and rods intact....sigh.
    So I cleaned all the casings and the shell interiors with 409 spray and wiped a light coat of shellac on each drum interior.

Yeah, I thought that old Ghost pedal might be era-appropriate!
    BTW~Thanks for looking for the Memriloc leg clamp, I'll check with D.Drew as you suggested.

18. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

I shouldn't have commented on the rims, since after taking a second look, I really can't tell. The flat area between the ears is wider on Big R drums than Script. The sharp taper is the key. After looking inside my bass drum, my pipes are short enough, but it's interesting why you needed to cut them. Also, some of the pipes inside the toms were longer than others from the factory. I think you had the longer ones. Did you put that part in the "wanted" section? Ace

19. bob

bob DFO Master

very nice job on the re-furb ..... glad i could help out

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  20. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

I did a serious second search for that part and while I didn't find one at least I found a bunch of Rogers parts that I needed reminding that I had and where they were. Laugh! BTW my Big R set came with a single 13" small tom and holder. I bought the double holder from Drews. If I ever wanted to go single, the holder and clamps are preset. Also I have a Big R cymbal holder that clamps to the tom holder. Problem was, when I hit the bass drum it made the cymbal make a noise. Laugh! It's been quoted, in the Rogers Book by someone, that the XP8 shells were the best ever produced. Old growth rock maple with the grain alternated on each ply. Also that the chrome was the best, as I mentioned earlier. Ace
    P.S. Steven, since I know you, you are allowed into the Rogers club. Normally you have to petition.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.