ROGERS Londoner-Six outfit... photos

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by EvEnStEvEn, Oct 22, 2018.

1. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

I have a question about this confounded pipe inside the bass drum. I understand it's there to maintain the structural integrity of the shell under the weight of the toms, but do I really need it if I only use 1 or 2 toms? It's added weight and I'll never use the tri-tom configuration as shown in the Rogers Londoner Six catalog photo anyway.

Should I cut the pipe completely off the chrome mount piece or is that a bad idea?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. amosguy

amosguy DFO Master

NO, No, No. Even if you did, it would not be enough weight to matter in the long run.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  3. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Leave the bass drum pipe as it is. It doesn't choke that drum anyway. I went to a tuning seminar at The Percussion Center and we found that the 13" needs to have the same tension on both heads to come alive. Ace
    P.S. It comes to around $100.00 for each tom, but Gary over at RIMS made a mounting plate just for Big R drums at the last. I like mine a lot.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    shuffle and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  4. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I wonder if INDe iso mounts would work in place of the Memriloc parts? I know it would be a major overhaul since you'd also have to swap out the tom arms from tubes to L rods (on a platform using a one inch down post that would interface with the bracket on the bass drum) but, assuming the INDe XL mount would fit the original two hole pattern of the Memriloc tom brackets it would completely solve the resonance problem and also be completely and easily reversible. The INDe mount itself ought to adequately hide the one inch hole that would be lurking underneath it.

Just another potential option.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  5. SwivoNut

SwivoNut DFO Master

Leave that internal pipe alone, it needs to be there. If you don't like the looks of all that plumbing showing through your reso head, put on a coated head like I did.

6. EvEnStEvEn

Okay guys, thankyou. Was just curious.

7. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Yep, leave the bass drum pipe in place! As Ace noted, it doesn't choke the drum. My 22" XP8 is about the best sounding bass drum I have. The 1967 Swivo 20" is close, and my 18" Gretsch Renown is third. I have a 1967 Swivo 22" and it is adequate, though not particularly thunderous.

8. EvEnStEvEn

Okay I've handled, inspected & polished over 50 of these Rogers beavertail lug casings today and I must say I'm astounded at the superior quality of their chromium plating, they're 40 years old yet they look brand new! Easily on par with the very best chrome plating I've ever seen. Darn impressive!

Roch likes this.
  9. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

What's amazing is the Swivomatic products also have a high degree of quality. The stuff is just bulletproof. You can go sixty years or more without having to change anything out. And I'd argue that the plating in the late 50s is superior to any I've ever seen since.

Here's a 1958 cocktail kit with both Eagle and "pirate" badges:

1 Spotlight Full Image.jpg

2 Spotlight Close In.jpg

3 Spotlight Snare.jpg

Rockin' Billy and EvEnStEvEn like this.
  10. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Plus the nuts, bolts, screws etc. are SAE sizes that can be bought at hardware stores. The strainers are rock solid also. Ace

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  11. EvEnStEvEn

Over 2 weeks since the purchase and I'm calling this project Done, essentially!

1980-81 Rogers Londoner Six XP-8 outfit 22, 12, 13, 14, 16"

ROGERS 007.jpg ROGERS 001.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:35 AM
    bob and shuffle like this.
  12. EvEnStEvEn

The Details:

I could've finished these sooner but took my time & and waited for some missing T-rods & claws from our generous drumbros, Bob & Squidart, Thanks, gents!

Essentially gang, this set was absolutely filthy when I picked them up, so I had plenty of cleaning & polishing ahead of me.
    We're talking duct tape residue, electrical tape residue, grime, dust & finger-schmutz galore on every shell and all chrome.
    Fortunately there weren't any deep gouges in the cortex wrap, but still a number of scratches to buff out & polish away. Of course the BD hoops were gouged and missing paint so I spent a good amount of time making them presentable again. Thankfully the original chrome inlay was still intact.

At the suggestion of our resident Rogers gurus I cut down the tom mount pipes and the spur pipes while gladly ridding myself of a pound-and-a-half of unnecessary pipeage (see above pic)

The seller had kindly installed new G2 coated batters all 'round so that was one less expense. I installed new BD heads & Remo Ebony resonant tom bottoms.

After many hours of meticulous cleaning of each shell & component, I waxed & polished the shells using an electric buffer and some "European Car Formula Wax & Paint Restorer" to achieve a deep black gloss.

Gonna clamp that 10x14" from a cymbal stand to be played as a hanging floor tom since I'd never venture to play it as a Tri-Tom configuration like the wacky catalog illustration shows.

Thanks, friends, for all the Rogers information & helpful suggestions. They sound good so far!

ROGERS 011.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 2:41 AM
    Roch, shuffle and squidart like this.
  13. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Those prettied right up! I bet you're plumb out of elbow grease. Enjoy!

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  14. EvEnStEvEn

Yep, they did indeed, Squid!
    Yeah, lots of elbow grease as you're probably aware, plus my ol' back is sore from being hunched over scrubbing lugs and tom rims in the bathtub...and then putting them all back on the shells. Glad it's over.

PS~ I got the claw today, thanks again!

squidart likes this.
  15. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Great kit at a fantastic price!

16. drummertom

drummertom DFO Veteran

Nicely done! The kit looks great.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  17. rhythmace

rhythmace Rhythmace

Very nice work and great to see. I haven't found any Reso feet that fit the FT legs, but you can find something to set the feet ON to do the same thing. Suggestions anyone? Did the 13" tune up well? Maybe the full appreciation will come with setting up. There are Rogers stands out there that hold a single Big R tom, but a regular stand is good too, but you have a big vent hole. LoL Ace
    P.S. Did you put something in the pipes?

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  18. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

Kevin...I respect your knowledge of vintage drums and their manufacturers. However, you are wrong here. The "original" Rogers company DID NOT GO UNDER. CBS got rid of every non broadcasting company they owned. This included selling the New York Yankees to Steinbrenner in 1973. They sold most of the Motion Picture holdings and recording companies to Sony in the late 1980's. CBS disposed of it's musical instruments division by selling off individual brands one by one.Those companies included Gulbranson organs, Rodgers church organs, Gemeinhardt flutes, Lyon and Healy harps. Rogers drums and Rhodes keyboards were CBS companies that CBS entrusted their Fender division to manage. Bill Schultz was assigned the chore of selling off Fender, Rogers, and Rhodes. He sold Rhodes to Roland. Rogers was sold to Island Music. Island used the famous name to bring cheap crappy drums to the market. Island damn near killed the brand name. Rogers drums did not GO UNDER when owned by the original owner--the Rogers family, nor their successors--Grossman, nor CBS--Fender, Rogers, Rhodes division. Mr. Schultz was a true visionary. He was part of the original marketing and sales team that introduced Yamaha musical instruments to the American market. Bill put together a group of Fender employees and some of our dealers and distributors to complete a leveraged buyout of Fender from CBS. I was privileged to be part of that group.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM
  19. SwivoNut

SwivoNut DFO Master

The Rogers tom holder will accommodate three arms. On 5-piece sets with two toms up, the 3rd hole is plugged with a white plastic insert. If you need such a plug, you can find one that will work very satisfactorily at your nearest Ace Hardware. The photo shows the original Rogers plug on the right and the Ace part on the left. Once inserted into the tom holder, only the top of either Insert2.JPG plug shows.

EvEnStEvEn likes this.
  20. EvEnStEvEn

Thankyou, Terry,
    Yes the 13" sounds fine, I tuned both batter & reso the same at your suggestion. Same with the 12" & 16".
    The toms all sound good to me as/is for now with coated Evans G2s as batters, Ebony Ambassadors for resos on both high toms & a coated Emperor as a resonant on the 16".

As for the inner pipes, I might shoot some of that expanding foam insulation that comes in a spray can into each pipe, I bet that'd work great don't you think? I used a pipe-cutter to cut the excess length from each pipe but left 'em unplugged for now.
    All the toms sing fine so I probably won't pursue any further isolation methods like makeshift iso-feet or Gauger RIMS mounts. I'll leave it all stock.

I haven't added-in the 10x14" yet, I'm gonna put an Ebony Amb reso on it today and try mounting it to a cymbal stand using a dogbone clamp.
    I'm on the hunt for a FT leg MemriLoc clamp as one leg has lost it's clamp. Gotta have that because the innermost leg tilts cockeyed without the ML clamp....Argh.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 4:43 PM