Second rehearsal for the Toto Tribute Band I somehow agreed to!

Discussion in 'VIDEO FILES' started by Fat Drummer, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Second rehearsal for the Toto Tribute Band I somehow agreed to! It's actually the first for the new keys player. Just a bunch of old guys who are solid players who will have a great time with this show. This thing goes out this summer so a lot of work to go but when I watched this I feel encouraged, its a solid foundation to build on. I am missing the kalimba part in the head like crazy, but the new keys guy said "oh yeah, I was supposed to add that wasn't I?"

The kit is not mine, it's the studio kit though it was built by my shop around 30 years ago, best I remember I did not actually build it but for maybe cutting the edges. The studio owner found it stored in a random church closet while there doing some PA work and bought it from them. I have decided on this UFiP cymbal rig for this show however which includes 16" Extactic hats, 17" & 18" Class Fast Crashes along with a 20" Class Thin crash and 22" Natural Crash / Ride. The China is currently an old 80's model 20" Paiste 2002 which I have always liked, though I am looking for a UFiP to replace it with for this show so I can keep it all in a single family. No reason to, just something I would like to do.

And I think I am very much sold on using my 6.5" INDe aluminum snare for this show as well. I played a bunch of options over the first two rehearsals and this is the one that is speaking to me the most for the era and punch.

Anyway, not a bad take for someone standing in the middle of a small room with a cell phone, thanks for watching.You can hear more of the cymbals towards the end from the 4:00 minute mare out if your interested in the UFiP cymbals.

lrod1707, Mendozart and squidart like this.
  2. jmpd_utoronto

jmpd_utoronto Very well Known Member

Nice!

3. Boomer

Boomer DFO Master

Very Nice!

4. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Kudos to everybody in your band. There are no weak links in the group. Great drumming, the guitar player is cool and very, very tasteful in his playing, bass player laying down a groove for days, keyboard guy really knows his stuff, and the vocalist is right on. And lead vocalist is typically the guy that kills most bands, but not in your case. He can hit the notes with clarity and accuracy. I'd be thrilled to be in a band like that. (In fact, I have been - several!)

Thanks for posting your video. I can't believe that a simple cell phone delivered that kind of audio quality. I'm thrilled for ya'll.

GeeDeeEmm

5. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

I love these moments. It transcends the walls usually put up in the life of an artist and musician.
    It's got the "drop the egos and just have fun" kind of feel to it.
    So cool that you get to be a part of this. You are very blessed, to be sure.

6. beatsmith8

beatsmith8 Well-Known Member

Good stuff!

7. Toast Tee

Toast Tee Well-Known Member

Very nicely done!
    You play very relaxed, and really adds to your groove. Your kit sounds great too.
    1 question. How did you get Phil Collins to do vocals? ;) lol.

Excellent band!!!!

8. lrod1707

lrod1707 Very well Known Member

Awesome man!