Shell Banks

Discussion in 'General' started by RickP, Jan 11, 2019.

1. cutaway79

cutaway79 Well-Known Member

A nice maple shell bank will cover a LOT of bases.

2. RickTriesToPlayDrums

RickTriesToPlayDrums Well-Known Member

Holy Cow!!!

3. kluger

kluger Very well Known Member

I love the idea! Working on it now myself. JM Blaemire shell bank in the works. Already have 13,16,20 and a 10, 12, 14 ordered. The 20" is powerful enough to cut with any guitar amp and able to tighten it up for a great bop/jazz setup. These drums really resonate for me. I still have two gigging kits to keep things interesting. :)

Attached Files:

4. RickTriesToPlayDrums

Out of all my kits; with concern to my Sigs, I'd, someday, like to add a hanging 14" tom, an !8" floor, and !8 ", 20", and 24" bass drums.

But first; I'd be hard-pressed to find them and, secondly, I'd have to find another place to live 'cause if I bring home more drums my wife will throw me out!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    mgdrummer and DrummerJustLikeDad like this.
  5. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch DFO Veteran

Where Black is the color, where None is the number
    I think seeing this on Cymbalholic a couple years back is a large part of what put the idea into my head to do this.

I've only got the wrap for a 16" - it's the Jammin Sam stuff, and I wanted to see it in person. It's the color I'm least sure about moving forward on - I wanted to do real Champagne, but that ups the cost from "okay car" to "4-year degree from okay school".

6. RogersLudwig

RogersLudwig DFO Veteran

I have Ludwig CMs: 8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 14x20, 14x22 (2x), 5x14, and 6.5x14 finished in WMP. Lovin’ it.

7. mgdrummer

mgdrummer DFO Veteran

Nice collection! The Cherrywood Signias are getting hard to find. The stain is an exact match to the Damask finish in the Genista series. I have a small selection of Cherrywood Signias (9x13, 10x14, 16x16, 18x22, matching 5.5x14 snare) that I’d love to find an 18” floor tom, 24” kick, 8x10 tom and 7x14 snare for.

8. DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad That's Me, The Silent Son

Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    Exciting to see those. Those were my dream kit for quite a long time, well after production ceased.

RickTriesToPlayDrums likes this.
  9. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Wow, my collection is quite modest! Most of these kits are matching, some aren't, some are pending refinish/wrap, and some are multiples (eg: multiple Gretsch 14 ft's, 20 basses, all snares, etc.) and kit colors:

Gretsch - 12/13/14ft/16ft/16b/18FT/18B/20/22/snares (RB red, champagne, BDP; SSB tangerine, ginger glass, amber lacquer refinish)
    Ludwig - 12/13/14ft/16ft/18b/snares (looking for 20 or 22 basses) (mahogany refinish; sky blue pearl,rest are up in the air to refinish)
    Slingy - 12/14/16ft/20b/24b/snares (all champagne except wood 24)
    Rogers - 12/16ft/20b/snares (need a 13t & 14ft).... (silver sparkle)
    DW - (8/10/)12/14ft/18b/snares (I ended up selling the 8 & 10 though) ("black panther" removable wrap).

Eventually, I would like to just get down to the Gretsch with a 12/13/14ft/16ft and 18 & 22 basses - in aged amber (think Charlie Watts) - the 12/13/16/22 I have almost finished, but the 14/18 and another 12 are a bop kit in black sparkle that I don't want to tear off.....yet. I'll do a matching wood snare and that should be sweet.
    But that would cover any type of gig I would think....

CaptainCrunch likes this.
  10. dogmanaut

dogmanaut Very well Known Member

I’ve always wanted to do the whole shell bank thing. I’ve actually bought multiple kits with the idea being, “THIS will be the one I finally do it with.”

So far the only one I’ve come close with is my set of MIJ Tama SC Bubingas. Scored a nice deal on a big used set all at once (24/10/12/16/16/18) in an off white finish, and then a couple months later, a NOS 14” floor in arctic white popped up on eBay at a crazy price because it was mislabeled as a B/B. So I grabbed it, too. Doesn’t match perfectly, but it’s close enough.

If I could just stop myself from making impulse purchases long enough to save up some dough, I’d really like to add sizes to my “beet it” INDe kit (I think Josh calls it dark rosewood now). In order to make that happen, I’ll probably wind up selling my other INDes sooner or later — 24/13/16 in mahogany. Just hate to say goodbye to such beautiful drums.

11. joepalm

joepalm Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question and a cool topic to discuss. Personally l like the shell bank concept...which for me is one brand/shell type/finish in a variety of mix and match sizes. In my case it's:

8x12, 9x13, 14x14, 16x16, 16x18, 14x20, 14x24

...of which I play in one of the following configs:

12/14/20
    13/16/24
    13/16/18/24
    12/13/16/18/24

The drums are Ludwig Legacy Maple - in Gold Glass Glitter.

Food for thought on putting together this type of setup...is it "better" to have multiple kits/brands/shell types OR a shell bank of your favorite brand/type of drums? Guess it depends on the player, their situation, budget, storage, etc.

12. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch DFO Veteran

Where Black is the color, where None is the number
    I mean, there are very good and logical arguments here for and against shell packs... but...... it seems like if you've got a little rack and a big rack, a little floor and a big floor, a little bass and a big bass, that will cover most any base which you want to cover.

A lot of why I ended up with so many was simply this "IT'S TOO CHEAP I JUST CAN'T AFFORD TO NOT BUY IT!!" mentality I have. I got the pair of 8" and 10" Ludwig Classic Maple toms (with proper spec - small lugs, classic eyebolt mount) in a mahogany or walnut stain with a stand for under $100 shipped. Saw a 6-ply 22" from the very end of Chicago production in 14" depth, 1/2" arc spurs, classic double-post mount and inlay hoops (so, non-Modular h/w or power depth) for $80 local to me, didn't need it, but the hardware alone is worth double that. See a DropG 15" rack run across eBay a couple times, make an offer, surprised it's accepted. That kind of thing.

13. Frank Godiva

Frank Godiva Well-Known Member

You can build some diversity in your shell bank. I rarely setup a super big kit cause I gig a one up setup. So for me I like a 12 or 13 as the rack tom. I have 3 different 12s and a 13. The 12s are all a bit different and I keep different heads on them and even different tunings. Number 1 is rosewood inside out standard depth, number 2 is rosewood outside only also 8 X 12 and number 3 is a re-veneered phonic plus 12 X 12. So depending on what I am playing I will switch em and have the 14 floor combo, or 16, or 16 and the 18. Same with having 2 22 bass drums. One has the internal muffler and inner rosewood and one does not have a muffler or veneer inside. Both are setup with different heads so they sound different. You can tell I am no pro and have a day job to waste money on extra drums and just be lazy about it.

14. audiochurch

audiochurch Very well Known Member

just realized i have a shell bank! it is mostly orphans, one full premier kit, and one full slingerland kit. all are wrapped in wmp with rack toms in 8,10, 12, and 13”. floor toms: 13,14,16. bd’s: 18,20,22. 4 various metal snares. this shell bank lets me cover everything!

if i could order a new one? yamaha maple custom in green w/brass hardware in same sizes.

15. RickTriesToPlayDrums

Thank you, DJLD. It took me a long time to find these.

16. RickTriesToPlayDrums

I'm glad you have these drums. Good luck with your quest to find the other dimensions you're looking for. Could it be that there's not a lot of these drums out there, and those that have 'em don't wanna part with 'em? I'm not sure. Maybe someone, who knows more than me about original production of these drums, can enlighten me.

Oh and I'd love ,too, to find a 7x14 matching wood snare. The one I have is a 5.5x14 (like yours) but once in a while I'll hook up a '95 Heavy Rock Nine or the same year 4x14 brass piccolo. As you guys know; switching out snares changes the whole complexion of the rest of the kit. And, as we know, different snares even evoke different playing ideas.

P.S. Beautiful collection of Genista. Never experienced them. I hope I have the opportunity to play them someday!

17. audiochurch

audiochurch Very well Known Member

wow! i own a premier bop kit that is top notch, but YOUR collection is a step above all of us. very nice! you are set for 3 lifetimes of playing!

18. CherryClassic

CherryClassic DFO Veteran

Late 80's Ludwig purchased 1994:
    12x13, 13x14, 16x16, 16x18 with 16x22 bass and 6.5x14 Supra then added new 9x8 and 9x10 tom to match, later added a CM 10x12 tom.

End of 2018 added new Classic Maple Ludwig:
    8x10, 9x12, 16x16 with 14x20 bass and using the same Supra as mentioned above.

Actually the old 16x18 Floor tom has been converted to bass. So I now have three bass drums to chose from.

So that's a total of 9 toms, 3 bass drums and 1 snare.

sherm

OH BTW: I also have a set of three old BooBam's in natural Bamboo wood configuration; need some TLC.

19. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

I’m already there with my JM kit.
    10/12/13/14/16/22/24

RickP likes this.
  20. Bandit

Bandit DFO Veteran

I have to say the only thing better than a "shell bank", is a drum bank full of shell banks! :)

[​IMG]

RickTriesToPlayDrums and Skyrm like this.