Simple Mic Set Up For Recording Practices?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunnellett, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Gunnellett

Gunnellett Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Looking for ideas on how to set up a mic for recording our practices.

Right now we just lay a phone on a table or wherever to record. It is convenient because it is easy and captures the essence of what is going on but the sound obviously leaves something to be desired. Sometimes it is muddy, sometimes the snare and cymbals dominate, voices can be hard to hear, etc. We don't always practice at the same place so the acoustics are variable which doesn't help in finding that "sweet spot" for the phone.

We are looking for something simple and inexpensive like using an overhead with our smartphones. Needs to compatible with Android and Apple.

We are not looking for studio quality just something that better captures what we are doing for playback to help us grow. We basically just text the recordings right now to listen to and comment.

Any ideas on a convenient way to hook up a mic to a phone for a decent recording? Need certain apps?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. scottpep

scottpep Well-Known Member

Audio Technica AT2020 I think they have one that has a lightning connection that plugs into your phone and has an app. works great. About $100... Placement is going to be key to find the best levels.

Gunnellett likes this.
  3. Lazmo

Lazmo Be excellent to each other...

I used a Tascam DR-22WL Portable Handheld Recorder mounted on a tripod to record a rehearsal, for the first time a few weeks ago. Because it has wifi, it can be controlled from an app on your phone. I can set levels and stop and start it sitting at my kit. It records wave or mp3s, but I set it to mp3 so that the files are smaller for distribution to the band, and the sound is pretty good.

Gunnellett likes this.
  4. Ptrick

Ptrick Well-Known Member

Choices for android compatible ones are slim, the easiest for iPhones are the Zoom iq6 or iq7. Run you about a hundred bucks, plugs into top of your phone, an app to tweak a few things. As good of sound as a zoom handheld.

Gunnellett likes this.
  5. Gunnellett

Gunnellett Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. I'll talk to my bandmates to see what we can come up with.

6. DrumWhipper

DrumWhipper Very well Known Member

Look into the Sabian Sound Kit. It is a recorderman set up with three mic's and a board. We use this at our rehearsal space and for small gigs. It has line outs to feed to the house, and you can record everything with an SD card.

7. Murat

Murat Very well Known Member

I was just going to type this. Good and inexpensive solution.

DrumWhipper likes this.
  8. DrumWhipper

Let me add that it uses repackaged Sennheiser microphones that are quality pieces.

Murat likes this.
  9. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Like Lazmo, I use a simple Tascam digital recorder. No muss, no fuss. Is it perfect? No, because it's just a stereo mic arrangement set up in a full room. But it gets the job done, and shows where each musician can improve on their contribution.

10. DrumWhipper

11. swarfrat

swarfrat tympanus laqueus XV

Drumwhipper - I think he means mic the whole room with one mic, not mic the drums.

A lot of the zoom like recorders have built in mics, and an AT2020 is cheap. For 225$ you can get the 2050 which is omni (multipattern) and not too much more than two 2020's.

12. DrumWhipper

Got ya. Either way, the same kit would work. When we have used it for smaller shows I've had to use a shield due to the overheads picking up the whole band.

13. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member