Slingerland question ?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by mfryed2112, Jan 1, 2019.

1. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

The people who post negatively about the integrity of vintage Slingerland hardware piss me off--especially if they are vintage Luddy-huggers. The absolute worst drum set hardware I ever experienced was on a brand new Ludwig drum set in 1966. At the time, i was gigging with a set of Oaklawn Camco drums. Before the Camcos, I gigged with Rogers or Slingerland drums. This particular gig was a massive Chicagoland battle of the bands held at the old International Amphitheater in Chicago. One of the sponsors of the event was Ludwig. When we arrived to the venue, we were informed that the Ludwig drum set with the cymbals and all hardware onstage MUST be used by the drummer in each competing band. Fender was another sponsor, and all amplified instruments had to play through the back line of Fender amps. That was OK because our two guitar players and the bass player all used Fender amps, anyway. The list of what went wrong with this drum set is too long for me to write in this post. But, simply stated, the snare drum stand, the Speed King bass drum pedal, tom holders, and the cymbal stands all either slipped or fell apart DURING THE PERFORMANCE. The snare drum sounded like a wet oatmeal box. And, the bass drum sounded like a bigger wet cardboard box. I didn't think much of Ludwigs before this experience, and have disliked that brand ever since.

2. mfryed2112

mfryed2112 DFO Master

Never had a problem with slingerland hardware but the dOuble set-o-matic is a no go for me, it's not that it doesn't work , we all know it does, it just limits your positioning

3. slingerland 59 R/K snare

slingerland 59 R/K snare Well-Known Member

myfryed: I would just use some Old English furniture oil. It will bring out the color. And it will hide the scratches for the most part. Also it was good on chrome if not really pitted. Enjoy.

4. cwdrums

cwdrums Very well Known Member

Sorry to hijack this thread but........as a "vintage Luddy-hugger" I must respectfully disagree with W&A. As an owner of two vintage 60's Slingerland kits I have had to fix (helicoil) the FT brackets on both kits. Of course I do not know how many gigs or previous owners had used these kits but nevertheless they had been overtightened to the point of stripping out. As previously mentioned a steel wing bolt screwed into a softer cast metal bracket will eventually fail (or maybe not for some of you) under repeated use. My bass brackets are still original.

The early 60's Ludwigs probably had similar problems before they switched to the eye bolt screws for FT and bass drum brackets. Plus the earlier dial/clock face hardware for the mounted toms slipped all the time resulting in the tom sitting at an awkward angle on top of the bass drum. BTW I have fixed that problem with a tap and die. And yes the flat base cymbal stands were and are a bit flimsy but totally functional in my world. My Speed King is just fine thank you. And finally my Ludwig snares and bass drums do not sound like cardboard boxes - all in the ear of the beholder I guess :).

Love both brands, just need to tweek a few parts here and there.
    Coy

PS good advice by all.

5. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

Well Coy, we have all had our own experiences, but I too am forced to disagree with Howie on this and I LOVE Slingerland.

If your bad experience was over 50 years ago, it's hard to make the statement that they are complete junk then and now and everywhere in between. I know this is about vintage drums, but I think we can all agree that what matters is how something is cared for. A backline set being abused at a festival (in a different era, no less) is a poor indicator of how a well-cared-for set will fare for the long haul. I have had MANY vintage Ludwig and Slingerland sets (among others) and have had to replace parts, fix parts, clean parts, adjust, etc. about the same on every brand I've owned. Less so on Gretsch I suppose, but have had very few of those.

I'll give it this example. Earlier this year I bought a 10 year old Toyota 4Runner from the original owner who bought it brand new in Illinois and then lived here in PA. The truck had 135k on the odometer and the frame was rust free. Yesterday at the local auto auction I saw a same-year 4Runner with 35k less miles on it and the frame was rusted out. This truck was from NY (more salt and road grime) and had obviously NOT been looked after during its life. The way we care for our gear matters, and using it with an appropriate amount of force and keeping it clean are the SIMPLEST of ways to keep it working well for the long term. If you buy a used one, it's hard to say how it was treated for certain, but you can try the screws and adjustments and see the current condition and get some pretty good clues.

And of course, part of the fun for me is bringing sets back to life!

6. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

It's entirely possible for the player to adapt to the equipment.

7. squidart

squidart Very well Known Member

Coy, would you mind sharing exactly what you did to remedy that? Thanks.
    Dave

8. W&A Player

W&A Player DFO Master

Loss for gain speaks a lot of sense. My negative experience with Ludwig drums from 50 years ago was so negative that it turned me away from that brand for many years thereafter. Then, after many years of avoiding Ludwig, I became more fond of Slingerland, Rogers, Oak Lawn Camco, then Leedy and Walberg & Auge drums. No brand of vintage drums is exempt from issues with drum construction or hardware. I'm comfortable dealing with those issues for the brands I prefer. I simply do not like Ludwig drums from the past or present.

lossforgain likes this.
  9. ThomFloor

ThomFloor Well-Known Member

OP- A great player set (keeper) and a lot of work there to upgrade and 'flip'. I doubt you'd get your money back to bring it all up to perfect.
    I agree with W&A - no older brand was perfect for hardware construction or design. Technology evolves.
    Slingerland hardware - one hears these unfair comments all the time. I've come to the conclusion there are 2 kinds of drummers: 'Viking tighteners' and 'Gentle Giants'. Most hardware is fine and tends to do well with Gentle Giants. I mean how hard do you have to hit, or tighten?
    Viking Tighteners ...maybe better off with 80's Tama.

squidart likes this.
  10. multijd

multijd Very well Known Member

I believe this is the key. I teach at a couple of colleges and the vast majority of student percussionists overtighten all of the stands. We have to constantly remind them to go easy. Most modern stands require less than a 1/4 turn to be adequately secure. This is ignoring drummers who bash the hell out of the equipement which is a whole other discussion. I’ve been playing vintage slingerland for 35+ years and I have vintage sets from Ludwig and Gretsch also. I’ve never had anything on the drums strip. I routinely use ludwig flat base cymbal stands and have had to retap and replace the thumb screws. That is the only problem area I have found. Maybe these are my unique experiences but I do believe a gentle touch especially on those Slingerland fittings is appropriate for longevity and maximum functionality.

lossforgain likes this.
  11. cwdrums

cwdrums Very well Known Member

Ludwig tom mount.JPG Ludwig tom mount (2).JPG Ludwig tom mount (4).JPG Luwwig tom mount.JPG Ludwig tom mount (3).JPG
    Dave, will do, give me a couple of days to take some pictures and I will give you the how, what, when and where.

First I drilled out the "nipple" on the strap as they get rounded over with use. Hence the slipping. Then I used an 8-32 tap to thread the strap. Went to the local hardware store got an 8-32 screw, cut it to a workable length and then ground down the edge of the screw head so it would fit on the strap and voila, solid as a rock and better than new. Hope this helps and let me know if you need better pictures.
    Coy

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    squidart likes this.
  12. ThomFloor

ThomFloor Well-Known Member

You sir, are what I call a Gentle Giant. I've too have never had anything strip on old or new sets or hardware. I am not a touring drummer but it gets used.
    How tight does it have to be?

multijd likes this.