Slingerland Rapid Strainer

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by plemon1, May 14, 2018.

1. plemon1

plemon1 Well-Known Member

Question for the Slingerland folks: I have a late 50s Slingerland snare with a rapid strainer, everything works great and is original, but I noticed when I play at medium volume, the strainer throws off, is there something I can do as a fix? I do not have the tension maxed out, any suggestions? Thank you.

2. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

Does your Rapid throw still retain it's rubber washer/grommet thingy?
    I ask because they help maintain the friction pressure that keeps it engaged.
    If the rubber piece is missing there are suitable fixes available in any hardware store.

3. plemon1

plemon1 Well-Known Member

No it does not have a rubber grommet.

4. EvEnStEvEn

EvEnStEvEn ~Lounge Lizard~

The absence of the rubber piece is likely the problem as it helps keep the rapid strainer engaged.

As I mentioned, you could fashion a replacement rubber from doo-dads found in the plumbing isle of any well-stocked hardware store. It essentially serves as a 1/2" round rubber washer that slips over the throw adjustment knob and presses against the chrome slider piece to add friction that keeps the strainer engaged.

5. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

EvEn's right. I think you might want to try an O-ring almost wide enough to fit the shaft of the knob, but make sure it's slightly tighter so it stays put.