Slingerland Satin Flame Pearl cleaning?

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by Radio King, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

I'm doing a refurb for a local friend of a blue satin flame solid-shell Artist from a matching '64 kit. Chrome is easily restorable, Zoomatic in good condition with knob affixed, original extended snare wires with metal strap, etc. However, I have no experience cleaning a satin flame finish, and I don't want to inadvertently scratch it any more than it already is. There are already a few minor cracks - nothing alarming, and of course I realize that I'll never get the "blue" back (it's faded to a lavender), but I'd love to get some of the luster back. Is it possible, and what product(s) would you recommend?

Attached Files:

2. viragobike4

viragobike4 Very well Known Member

Scrubbing Bubbles with a soft (I mean soft) brush. Brush in direction of the flame pattern followed by Novus #1. These were pretty groady

Attached Files:

3. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

Advice taken! Thanks, richm. Soft brush, as in toothbrush?
    And man, what a killer looking set! Drums are nice, too. ;-)

4. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Nice snare - I have a 12/14/18 (real bass!) in blue satin flame........I've toyed with the idea of a matching Slingy wood snare but I already have a red sparkle RK, champagne Artist and a 50's satin mahogany.......another wood one would be overkill........if your buddy is thinking of selling or a trade (I have a ton of cymbals and 25+ snares).....have him contact me.....thanks.

5. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

Will do, JazzDrumGuy. There's a 90% chance he'll want to sell it after he tries it out first. He owns a consignment shop, so for him, everything is for sale.

6. Radio King

Radio King DFO Veteran

Scrubbing Bubbles is the ticket. The wrap looks much better.

Only unfortunate side effect from all this detailing is that it became apparent that someone used steel wool on the COB hoops at some point. The swirl is kind of obvious in this pic due to the flash from my camera. Not really noticeable to the naked eye, luckily.

Attached Files:

7. Skyrm

Skyrm DFO Master

Thanks for posting this!! I just picked up a Gretsch RB Satin Flame kit, with a matching Slingy tom. Now to get cleaning!!