Solid color vistalites?

Discussion in 'General' started by chollyred, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:57 PM.

1. chollyred

chollyred Well-Known Member

Why? What's the point? Someone relatively near has been trying to sell some solid black vistalites for several weeks. I knew a few guys that had the transparent ones back in the day, and they were really cool looking, but I don't remember them sounding extraordinary.

2. Ickybaby

Ickybaby Very well Known Member

I have always wondered the same thing.

My guess...there are those that like how Vistalites (acrylic) drums sound and they wanted opaque versions.

trommel likes this.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

There are people who really dig the sound. Not me, but they exist.

I don't think any material makes good or bad sounding drums. They make different sounding drums that you may or may not like, and those sounds are rather unpredictable depending on many factors.

stevil likes this.
  4. blueshadow

blueshadow Just Shuffling along Staff Member Moderator

The White ones must have really been a bomb as they wrapped them in chrome (real metal I believe) wrap...have seen a few examples in person...talk about heavy!

5. BennyK

BennyK DFO Master

The black ones are pretty good.

6. BBeyer

BBeyer DFO Master

My Buddy has a black set, With a virgin bassdrum to boot. I kind of want to buy them off him

7. stevil

stevil Well-Known Member

I had an solid white Vistalite. They were cool. Under normal lighting they were perfectly opaque, but under stage lights they'd glow in a way that matched the lights. The black opaque do the same thing, but to a much less noticeable degree. My favorite Vistalite finish is the green sparkle Ludwig released as a limited edition in 2017. Those were gorgeous. The sparkle is embedded in a translucent green. Very cool.

As for sound, they're not versatile, but it's hard to do what they do with any other material. I played a show last weekend with a drummer who had a Vistalite (the band was Young Hunter, from Portland, OR), and he has his set just DIALED IN. The sound guys and every drummer in the room had sh*t eating grins every time he hit his bass drum. It was sweet.

8. Mcjnic

Mcjnic DFO Veteran

This kit has been for sale here going on a few years. I think it's still there. Was the last time I went in. Tag says "$799"

IMG_4690.jpg

9. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Very well Known Member

In the first generation the orange and yellow ones sounded the best and the clear and blue ones the worst. That's why you see so many of the clear and blue for sale. When they added the solid color white and black, they sounded better than clear and blue but still not as good as the orange.

:icon_e_wink::icon_lol:

10. p83

p83 DFO Veteran

you almost had me................

11. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I have an opaque black snare (what Ludwig considered the Vista version of the Supra). I like the way acrylic snare drums sound and have a black kit so when I wanted a matching snare I thought I'd try one of these. It's super shiny black too. Actually I've had two. I bought one on ebay which turned out to be stolen according to a detective that called me from Texas (or it was a very elaborate scam) and I returned it to the guy that was supposedly the rightful owner...there was a heart rending story attached (of course) like it had been a gift from his late dad or some such. I did get all my money back for it plus shipping. A couple months later I found another one locally. It sounds good...although I give a slight edge to Green.

12. DrummerJustLikeDad

DrummerJustLikeDad That's Me, The Silent Son

Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
    Yet another thread on why people either like or do not like vistalite black.

Tornado likes this.