SOLVED!!! - Can’t Quite Mesh With My New Custom Kit

Discussion in 'General' started by Mcjnic, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:19 PM.

1. bellbrass

bellbrass DFO Master

I'm very happy you went around the house and found out where they sing. I live in an older house; my practice room has heart-of-pine floors and plaster walls. I thought it would sound horrible with drums in there, but danged if it isn't like a recording studio - no matter what kit I have in there, the drums sound like a million bucks. Room sound is everything.

Tornado and Mcjnic like this.
  2. Tornado

Tornado Very well Known Member

I'm not Dan, or an expert, but I think you'll find that the more extensive studio acoustic treatment is for mixing environments, not necessarily tracking or playing rooms. After treating just enough to stop some unwanted or annoying reflections, you might want to stop. Plus, some treatment might actually unbalance your sound because they remove too much in certain ranges, thereby leaving the ones they don't absorb too loud.

Check this out, it was posted a while back. These drums sound amazing, and the room is a huge part of it. Brick walls and a wood floor.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:37 PM
    polycrescendo likes this.
  3. p83

p83 DFO Veteran

remember this rule!!!

you can deaden a live room, but you can't lively up a dead one.

Cauldronics likes this.
  4. Cauldronics

Cauldronics DFO Master

Honestly I would just float the floor where the drums are setuo instead of rebuilding the room. There are a few ways to do this. If your ceiling is high enough, building a 1-2’ high stage would open up the drums quite a bit.

I use thick rubber mats under my kit in a carpeted room and they isolate it from the floor, which makes them sound great. I’m talking about 1” thick appliance or cattle mats. Very heavy and that’s how they do the job.

5. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

The mirrors are reflective surfaces and brightened up the room which I had carpeted the walls.

It’s a small space but it sounds good. Guess I got lucky....

6. doubleroll

doubleroll Very well Known Member

Glad it all worked out! Now go enjoy that wonderful kit ;-)

7. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Good for the OP. Now rock on, buddy!

I get it now....thanks. My room is "L" shaped, but has regular walls and wood floors. I will have some area rugs under 2 separate drum sets, and just bought some of those square foam and corner foam thingies to make the room look cooler! I will be setting up mikes and a digital recorder but that's not gonna happen for a few months and will be the basis for a separate thread.

8. Mongrel

Mongrel Very well Known Member

Been lurking this thread to see where it went. My most expensive kit is an old Starclassic Performer (birch), my other kits are 60s Rogers. So I have no perspective on a $4500 kit but felt bad for what you were going through.

My drum room is a 1953 rancher basement with (almost) 7ft ceilings, block walls, sheetrock ceiling over the kit. Drums are 8" off the ground on a platform sitting on conder blocks (in case of water). Suffice to say NOT an acoustic friendly environment.

ALL my kits sound bad in this space to (my) the naked ear. BUT take them outside? That is when they sound their best.

The other thing that sirprised me is recording using a set of pretty decent Audix mics. I was like "wow, those are my drums?" Lol. Nit at all what I was hearing with my ears.

Saying all that to say this-yep, the room has more impact than anything else (heads, tuning, shells, even price maybe ) on how a kit will "sound" in my experience as well.

Really glad you were able to figure it out MC.

Tornado and Rhyma Hop like this.
  9. edge

edge Well-Known Member

I had a Noble and Cooley Horizon original kit, they were great but did not get me excited, I had a Star Series solid maple kit that also had its moments but did not keep a hold of me, had a CD Maples kit that really blew me away, goes to show that it is personal, I love the sound of those PDP kits and think I would like them, for me it always come back to Gretsch. I have a Camco bop kit in route. I grew up playing Camco so this will be iteresting to see what they do for me.