Some progress in my Refurb/Build

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by Old Dog, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Old Dog

Old Dog Well-Known Member

So, I have made some progress. I decided against notching, or drilling. I was able to find PDP/DW lugs that worked out. The top floor tom lugs are actually snare lugs with 1/2 the receivers and clips removed. ALL of the hoops are Sonor. I don't know how I managed that. The bass hoops are a happy surprise. Before they were on the drum, they DID NOT look like they matched. But, you guys tell me, if they're "off", it's not by much. I don't want to sand them, I think they blend pretty nicely. The tom hoops are triple flanged, the 12s are new and the 14s are used, but they look great. I'm waiting on gaskets for 8 of the 12" lugs and the bass drum batter head, and I'm done I think?!

Evans EC2s on the toms. That's actually a Remo hazy snare side for the floor reso. Remo clear under the 12. That's a single ply Aquarian bass reso in "video gloss white". I bought a barely used SKII superkick batter, that hasn't arrived yet.

I had trouble finding PDP/DW tension rods that actually WORKED with the lugs. I sent some back. I ended up buying PDP/DW "standard" tension rods for the toms and I purchased "standard" tension rods for the bass. And then had to purchase standard receivers. Which I'm changing them all basically. I wanted new rods anyway--couldn't find the right ones without paying way too much.

Attached Files:

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Hoops look nice!

3. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Those are looking great so far, Old Dog! The floor tom is gorgeous. You're making good, steady, and tasteful progress, and I like it. What do you intend to do about the tom mount on the bass drum? My 2000 model CX maple still has the original Pacific tom mount, and I've found it to be excellent in both one-up and two-up configurations.

Do you have any estimate on how much $$ you'll have invested in the kit once you are done?

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated with photos.

GeeDeeEmm

4. Old Dog

Old Dog Well-Known Member

Thanks JDG! I was pleasantly surprised after installing the bass hoop. I wanted to be "cheapER" where I could. I wasn't about to spend on die-cast hoops.

Man, the floor tom is my favorite part so far! I'm glad I decided NOT to wrap. I did some spot sanding, used a "cut" product that loosens the lacquer x2, and really nice auto polish x2.

I already have a plate to cover the tom mount and am planning on putting the tom on a sturdy snare stand. I actually painted the plate brown! Lol. . .They simply are back ordered on chrome everywhere. I'll wait till May or June and get a chrome one then when they're available. I was considering, for ease, going ahead and using the mount and buying a DW/PDP bracket. But, I'm going to leave it as is. Because of the brackets used for this kit, the 12" tom is still "virgin". I think it will look good like that.

As far as spending. . .I'll be north of $500 by the end. Maybe $550?