Standrus Mod??

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by wflkurt, Nov 2, 2018.

1. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

So after 30 years plus of looking at Ludwig drums it never ceases to amaze me when I see something I never saw or heard of before. By now everyone has heard of Ludwig covering over citrus mod shells with black panther around 1970. From pics I have seen and stories I have heard it is my thought that Ludwig made up X numbers of shells in various finishes to have on hand so that they could be drilled and badged at a later date. This would keep the flow of things running smoothly and I am including a pic from around the late 50's that shows Wm F Ludwig with Wm F Ludwig Jr standing in front of a stockpile of wrapped shells that have no badges and are not drilled yet.

The color citrus mod came out in mid to late 1968 along with black panther and neither color made it to a print ad or a catalog until the 71 catalog(printed in 1970). In the pre, pre days of facebook, instagram or twitter it made sharing new finishes virtually impossible unless they took the time to make a print ad OR you happened to walk into a music store that had a set in one of the new finishes on the sales floor. Dealers were also given color swatches with finishes available but that still was not the same as seeing a color on a set.

I personally think that Ludwig made up a bunch of shells at some point(probably sometime in 1969) and by 1970 Ludwig was quickly realizing that they were sitting on a bunch of wrap in a color that was just not liked all that well. I was born in 1970 so maybe some of the members that were actually alive and playing drums might be able to comment but I think that when this color came out, the trend for colors like black or even wood finishes was slowly starting to become desireable. I'm willing to bet that when people saw citrus mod they pretty decided that enough was enough and even some colors were just too much to bear. Because Ludwig probably caught on to this they were most likely left sitting on a stock pile of shells wrapped in a color that was a real bomb. What do they do about this? Someone in a board meeting probably thought that wrapping the remaining shells in black panther was a good idea since the wrap was pretty thin and it was selling well.

So for now it was my understanding that Ludwig did this only to shells with citrus mod and they only did this using black panther wrap. Someone on a Ludwig group on facebook posted a pic of a drum they were selling(it is now sold) that was a standard Ludwig, granitone interior, 14x14 finished in charcoal astro finish that had citrus mod underneath! It never occured to me that they would apply the same thought process using the standard line. It makes sense though as those drums are supposed to compete with the lower end market and cover the mid range level of drums. All standard drums were made with a regular Ludwig shell. The difference was that they sprayed the insides with granitone paint, used a different badge and used different hardware using the same hole patterns as regular classic hardware.

This was a new one on me. Now don't everyone all run out at once and strip apart their standard drums! Lol....

Attached Files:

2. squidart

squidart Well-Known Member

Dang. It's the Beatles butcher cover of drums!

3. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I'd suspect that by virtue of being thinner wraps you could overwrap an already wrapped shell with Black Panther (basically vinyl Tolex, like on amp cabinets) or the satin flame style wraps. Another layer of traditional Sparkle or Pearl wrap would probably have made the finished shell oversized. "Waste not want not" seems to have been the Ludwig company motto.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    mlayton and squidart like this.
  4. Bun Carlos

Bun Carlos Pro

Kurt, First of all, I think Ludwig didn't have board meetings, The Chief owned and ran the place. There was no board that I've ever heard ?
    And secondly, WMP and Lacquered Maple are among the finishes that have been found under Black Panther, not just Citrus Mod.

5. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Bun E, I'm sure you might know more about what went on with Ludwig when the chief was there. I just remember intently reading the 1966 Ludwig drummer I have where they talk about factory expansion and they show a pic of a conference room. I would honestly have no idea if they ever discussed things like the choice to cover over a dud wrap that did not sell well. For all I know the chief could have looked at all the backlog one day and decided that they should just wrap over the non selling citrus mod.

When was the first time you saw citrus Bun? Did you see it back in the day and what were your thoughts on the psychedelic colors when they first came out? I'm just curious.

Attached Files:

6. Bun Carlos

Bun Carlos Pro

The Chief seemed like the kind of guy who ran things himself? But who knows how that stuff got decided? I don't recall seeing (and knowing the name etc) of citrus mod before the late 1990's. I didn't have any catalogs showing the color.

7. wflkurt

wflkurt Deafus Maximus

Thanks for the info Bun E. Citrus is on the back of the 1971(printed in 1970) catalog but this is the only catalog showing the color as it was discontinued very soon after. The color certainly has grown on me over the years though it will never top mod orange in my rankings.