Supraphonic B/O badge looks hand cut... vintage or rebadged?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by snottybooger, Jan 10, 2019.

1. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

I just got a supraphonic 15471640167331770701057.jpg from reverb that from their pics looked like a late 70s model, but when I got it the badge had the serial numbers cut off, and it has rounded edges, which makes me think it was initially a later 70s badge.

Snare also doesn't have an internal muffler, which I thought all 70s supras came with. Anyone seen badges like this? Im worried it was rebadged to look vintage.

2. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Or it's a modern "B-stock" snare. The badge does look messed up at both bottom corners. What throw and butt plate? Any stickers/labels inside? Any stamps of a B, BR, or reverse B near the throw off or behind it?

I know it's late now, but what does the seller say about era (or did the listing say)?

3. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

Its a P-85AC throw off and a P-35AC butt plate. No labels and no stamps i can see.

Looking back seller did not explicitly say it was vintage, just listed model number and flashed the B/O badge from a distance.

For modern b stocks they would throw on an old badge?

4. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Sorry man. A vintage drum would not come with that throw/badge and doubt someone would put new stuff on a vintage snare (I don't think the P35 butt fits the holes of the P32). The correct throw should be a black face P85 and correct butt should be a block letter P32.

You can buy new BB's with the B/O badge from the factory (I believe no serial # but the full badge). The cutoff B/O badge is a B-stock - there's some sort of minor defect - and it's cheaper. I have seen a few of the B-stock and they always looked/sounded fine. Here is a link to a new one with a cut badge:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Ludwig-5x14-Black-Beauty-Snare-Drum-LB416B/2254367909?iid=283217489620&chn=ps

5. drumtimejohn

drumtimejohn Very well Known Member

I agree, modern B stock. Badge corner probably got hooked on something and was bent back. Apparently, B stocks just have minor cosmetic anomalies and should sound just as good as an A.

DWSlingerland45 likes this.
  6. drumtimejohn

Also, I believe it’s the sellers responsibility to disclose this beyond just pictures.

7. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

It would help to see the listing - I don't know how to search for sold listings on Reverb (or if it has that function as eBay does).....maybe cut/paste it here?

8. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

Thanks for the insights guys.

9. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

I cant find the specific listing anymore, but it definitely wasn't listed as b stock. Not sure how big of a stink i should make of it. Any idea of what a fair price for a modern b stock supra should be?

10. drumtimejohn

I’d research b stocks on the resale sites to determine price.

11. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

5" or 6.5"?

5" = about $500-600.
    6.5" = about $600 - 650 new.

You may find them for less used. Heck, I've seen "A" stock BB's for less but it depends.
    Was it sold as new and "B" stock? What did you pay? Any return policy given?

If you google ludwig b stock black beauty cut badge, there are many websites including many links on DFO about the drums. They seem very good and if you got a good deal, you may want to keep it - I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:44 AM
  12. Peterk256

Peterk256 Very well Known Member

Probably B-stock. Here is a picture of my B-stock LM402 purchased new in 2014. Modern B-stock snares have b/o badges with no serial numbers. They don't have to cut the badge on an LM402 because the panel is larger. I could never find anything "B" about it. Yeah I know, the lugs have gaskets.

LM402.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 4:20 AM
  13. lossforgain

lossforgain Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

I’ve been through Reverb returns as both buyer and seller. Technically you have 180 days to return, although some shops use an As Is policy to discourage returns unless the item is “not as described.” Of course in cases like this, that can be hard to make an argument for. If the badge wasn’t shown or the damage to the badge wasn’t shown, you may have a leg to stand on. If it was advertised specifically as a vintage 70s drum, you definitely have a case. Otherwise you may be out of luck.

14. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

True. However, I still like to know what the item is, how it is described, and how it may be misrepresented, as well as photos. I am curious because I go out of my way and err on the side of full disclosure and generally have no problems. However, I've had a lot of deals recently where I bought and it wasn't as described, or the seller is telling me I still got a good deal so live with it. As a buyer, that is BS. And I can also learn different selling strategies and methods, too, that work and don't work to make future transactions smooth. It irks me that there are people out there selling crap as good stuff, or selling stuff they have no clue about like "estate finds" or" sorry I'm not a drummer" stories. I don't like wasting my time or energy with these people and I am sure nobody wants to go through that. In a perfect world, the eBay and Reverb drum shop is next door to my house. The reality of it is that it makes smart business sense for those companies to offer such warranties. I don't agree with six months but it is some level of protection for those involved. Sorry for the rant.....

15. TheElectricCompany

TheElectricCompany Very well Known Member

16. TheElectricCompany

You should be able to go into your purchases and find the original listing to post here.

17. JazzDrumGuy

JazzDrumGuy DFO Master

Dave is a stand up guy....I'd be shocked if it was him. Nothing in that ad seems misrepresented.

To the OP - Did you buy a COB snare?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:53 PM
  18. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

I've never seen a cut down rounded corner blue olive badge before

19. TheElectricCompany

Probably modern B-stock. I’m just curious to see what the ad said.

jptrickster likes this.
  20. Fat Drummer

Fat Drummer Very well Known Member

Welllllllllll, technically your right, as this listing clearly says this is NOT the drum you will actually receive, but is a Stock photo of a typical B stock drum. So it's not really misrepresented, it's just not quite as sincere as I would prefer. How many people would NOT notice that disclaimer line? I dont think he's trying to play loose or anything as the seller is not trying to hide it, but it still makes it easy for a buyer to be disappointed with what finally arrives at their home if they are thinking they just bought the drum in the photos.