Swapping Resonant Heads

Discussion in 'VIDEO FILES' started by spazapproved, Jan 24, 2019.

1. spazapproved

spazapproved Well-Known Member

So recently I posted a video about changing out my floor tom feet for my tone and resonance.
    Well I heard a lot of comments about how I'm running a Hydraulic head top and bottom and there was a lot of talk about not liking the tones. So I listened to the masses and bought some new Evans Genera Resonant heads.

What a crazy different it made with no changing of the top heads.

Alex Drummer and Fat Drummer like this.
  2. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

Hi, Zack!

I like it when you do videos. The visuals are done well, and the sound you capture is really nice. And, you're a good host with a charming little hostess, to boot.

I'm not a Hydraulic type of drummer, but I must say that for folks who like a deader sound on their toms without eliminating all tone altogether, the Hydraulic pairs don't sound that bad. I hadn't heard any hydraulics (that I can recall, anyway) since the 1980s, and at that time they were horrid. They made a drum sound like it was filled with jelly. The new ones you are playing are actually quite nice - IF you like a significantly-muffled tom sound. I suspect that the new Hydraulics are exactly the heads that we should be recommending to drummers who write in here and complain about their toms ringing too much. That means that I will need to get over my prejudice toward them, but so be it.

Over years of experimentation with drum sets and heads, I've finally settled in to a rather traditional configuration: single ply heads on the ride tom(s), double plies on the floor toms, and single plies on all the resonants. The batters are all coated.

Anyway, here's a big thumbs up to your videos. I think you should do more of them, especially those aimed at subjects like head changes - the simple stuff that all drummers are interested in. Do you still work in a music store? If so, how about convincing the owner to allow you to bring gear home and do a video on it? And, maybe plug the store while you're at it.

GeeDeeEmm

3. spazapproved

spazapproved Well-Known Member

Yeah I will also admit this is my first time actually keeping hydraulic heads on any kit. And mainly because it came with them and they are brand new heads. And now that I changed out the reso heads... I technically have spares for all the batters now! haha
    I once tried Hydraulic heads on my PDP and hated them. I quickly swapped to G2 coated and that's where it stays. I also prefer coated heads and that's why you see them on my Yamaha Maple Customs, my Pork Pie Zebrawood, PDP X7 and Ludwig kit.

Yeah I really want to make some great informative videos especially for all of my students. So they can go and reference them during the week when not at lessons. But then anyone else watching can learn things from them. I do still work at the music store but sometimes I just look at my own basement and wonder why because I basically own a drum shop hahahahaha! But you're right it would be awesome to do some collaboration/testing/review videos and get things from the store. I'll put that past him see what he thinks.

I have some ideas for some videos so I'll be excited to get started on them! Thank you for the comments and support.