Tama Experts: I need a bit of help

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by Old Dog, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Old Dog

Old Dog Well-Known Member

I am refurbing an 80s Tama Imperialstar floor tom. I have nearly all of the info I need in finding the parts I need. However, without the parts, I always have to wait to get everything to measure for the--Tension Rods! lol It "looks" like I'll need a 2" to 2.5" lug. But of course, I really can't tell yet.

That's all I want. Can you tell me the T.rod length, thank you.

2. mlucas123

mlucas123 Very well Known Member

Tama parts catalog says 66mm for 80's floor toms.

3. Old Dog

Someone on another forum site linked me to the Tama parts pages. According to what we found, they should be 48mm. Can you link me to what you're seeing? thanks

4. Old Dog

I believe the 66mm is for the Imperialstar snare drum. It looks, if I'm reading it correctly, that I need a 48mm t.rod?

5. Tama CW

Tama CW Very well Known Member

I just went through this 3 weeks ago for a friend putting together an 18" floor tom. The ones off my 18" floor tom are 2-3/4" from end to end. In mm it's 70 mm end to end, and 60 mm from threaded end to the washer collar. When removing rods off a 14" floor tom for spares those were also the same length as the floor toms. You also want about a 50-50 split between threaded shaft and bare shaft....which is what 70 mm gets you. I don't get 66 mm on any part of mine. And I've measured others and they were the same. Anything from 2.5-3.0" would work.

6. mlucas123

mlucas123 Very well Known Member

7. Old Dog

Thanks for the replies. . .Yes, I was figuring I wouldn't have to be exact. Not TOO short, not too long. I will get the rims in the next day or two anyway, I'll check with some spare rods I have and go from there.

THANKS!!