Tama Granstar Tom memory locks.

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Snafu, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Snafu

Snafu Member

Hi all. I'm restoring my 1987 Granstar kit and I am having trouble finding Tom memory locks that are the correct ones for the 10.5mm Tom mounts. Can any one help?

2. cutaway79

cutaway79 Well-Known Member

I assume you're looking for the ones that go with the four-hole bracket, not the later two-hole bracket on the Granstar IIs. The ones for the four-hole seem to be scarcer than hen's teeth. Though maybe someplace like Allstar Custom Lugs could fabricate some for you.

3. Snafu

Snafu Member

Yes the four hole Tom mount. I have only found 1 that is with a Tom bracket ( the type that clamps to a cymbal stand) on an obscure site that I just found today. New in the box. Don't know if 30 bucks plus shipping warrants that purchase. Although I could use that clamp for a cow Bell, but then I would still need to find at least 1 more. Trying to keep this resto reasonable, price wise. It's funny that even the sets I'm finding for sale do not seem to have these locks either. I'm sure that when the Granstars came out they came with these locks. I can't remember any of my other kits not having memory locks. I'm hoping that someone out here has a couple extra lying around and might like to part with them. I hate, hate, hate doing any restoration on anything and missing one small piece of the puzzle. But then again we are talking 30 years. Thank for the imput.

4. Snafu

Snafu Member

Help! Doing a long over do restoration on a 1987 Granstar set and missing the Tom memory locks. These seem to be the perverbial needle in the hay stack from what I've been told so far. Not finding anything on Reverb or ebay. Anyone know of a Tama dealer thats been around since the 80,s that may have some old stock? Thanks

5. cutaway79

I've owned 3 Granstar kits, and 1 Granstar Custom, with a total of 12 toms between them (not counting floor toms), and I've only ever owned 4 of those memory locks. And I was looking everywhere for more. I wish you luck in your search.

6. Snafu

Snafu Member

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I will pull the trigger on that clamp. At least I will have 1 until I can secure a second. If I had been more diligent when I found this set I would have had the drum shop owner locate some for me at that time. Thanks

7. Geardaddy

Geardaddy Very well Known Member

Could you post a picture of the memory lock you are looking for?

8. bodinski

bodinski the Tingler

Are these what you need?
    They are yours if so..

Attached Files:

9. Snafu

Snafu Member

Thanks, but no their not the ones i am looking for. Someone else has asked me to post a picture of them so when i figure out how to do that you can see what they look like. Just picture a ring with a small lug screw at the top (faces away from mount when on the L bracket). Anyway im going to post a picture of the only one I've been able to find so far. Thanks again.

10. bodinski

bodinski the Tingler

NP - good luck on your quest!

11. cutaway79

Even finding a picture of one online is tough.

12. Snafu

Snafu Member

Yeah. But I found one with a Tom clamp. Going to buy it then if I have trouble finding another I'll just have one machined locally. Shouldn't be to hard. Hell I could probably mill one out of plastic.

13. cutaway79

Definitely be easier than finding more of the original ones, haha.

14. Snafu

Snafu Member

There's a pic of the memory lock in my media.

15. Snafu

Snafu Member

You can see a pic of it in media now. Thanks

16. cutaway79

Hey, just a heads-up... That might fit (I have no idea, since I've never seen one of those), but it's not actually a Granstar memory lock. Looks to be for a cowbell or something. I've attached the best pictures I could find of the actual Granstar part, next to your part. Looks like it may work. Hard to tell though. The Granstar is more squared off, and seems a little thicker.

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 5.51.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 5.49.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 5.55.28 PM.png

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  17. Snafu

Snafu Member

I spoke to a Tama dealer in Lansing Michigan today who has been selling Tamas for 30 years and we found out something interesting.
    Apparently tama Tom L mounts were originally hex and then at some point they made them knurled. Mine are the latter which leads me to believe that the one I found is indeed the missing link. That is why they are very hard to come by since the Crestar, Granstar line was only produced for a few years. And apparently the Artstar and Granstar ll were different mounts also. They made a ML105 memory stop that I might be able to mill some edges off and make work. My main reason to have the locks in the first place is to keep the Tom's from slipping down and giving my newly rewrapped bass rash. I've seen some pretty bad cases of Tom rash on some of these older bass drums. And it has even made it through to the shell. Im Going to purchase that bracket and see if it is indeed the right one. If it is it shouldn't be to hard to have a couple reproductions made by a machine shop from stock aluminum rod.

18. cutaway79

During the Superstar/Artstar era, the rods were round/knurled. They changed to hex when the Granstar/Crestar/Artstar IIs came out. Then went back to round/knurled when Granstar II came out. If memory serves, there was even a period where they made the four-hole Granstar bracket without a cut-out for a memory lock. The standard Granstar locks will work on both hex, and round rods. The one you're getting will obviously work on a knurled rod, so it may end up working out for ya. If it does, those ones may be easier to find than the originals, and you might have just found a cool little trick for frustrated, memory-lockless, Granstar lovers!

Keep us posted!