Tama Superstar restore process

Discussion in 'Resto and Rehab tips' started by tmc333, Mar 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. tmc333

tmc333 Very well Known Member

Looking at a set of vintage Tama Superstars in the Aquamarine finish and wondering if what he says he has done is damaging to the original lacquer finish and if so to what extent?
    His reply below:

"It was covered in bar smoke. I used various grades of wet sanding. 1000, 2000 & 3000 grit. Next I used Novus 3 & 2. It really brought the lacquer back from the dead!"

The shells look great in the pics of his ad but just wanting to hear back from DFO members regarding his method.

Thanks as always for your input.

2. levelpebble

levelpebble Well-Known Member

I wet-sanded a BDP kit that had decades of smoke and nicotine buildup that no amount of polish and elbow grease would cut through. I had to start with 400 to get it moving. If he only used 1000 grit and finer I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are talking about the kit in your neck of the woods online, that kit looks very nice from the pictures. And I know - I have a 80/81 Superstar aquamarine with a 18x14 kick and a 14x14FT.

John