Tape vs Glue wrap installation

Discussion in 'The Builders Workshop' started by Salem street drums, Jan 25, 2019.

1. K.O.

K.O. DFO Master

I could see a tape working if applied over the whole shell or a large portion of it. Sam's method is to just use a strip of the tape at the start of the wrap and on the overlap with the rest of the wrap just held in place by the hardware.

Here's an example of how well that holds up. On the bright side it will be very easy to strip.

Attached Files:

JazzDrumGuy likes this.
  2. c0r1n

c0r1n Well-Known Member

I wrapped my Slingerlands in green glass glitter 13 years ago or so using Sam's tape and only very recently have I seen a seam begin to lift, and even then only very slightly on one drum out of seven. I may add some glue eventually, but pressing the seam down again has held so far. It has worked very well for me. I used tape because I thought I would eventually rewrap but I still love the finish and the wrap cost more than the drums so I doubt I ever will now. I'm not opposed to glue and am considering it for another kit now, but the tape has really been great.

As far as resonance reduction, compared to my lacquered Yamahas, they are a little less lively but they are far from dead. Probably as mild a difference as a head change. Certainly way less than an O-ring or a moon gel.

It was my first rewrap and it was very frustrating at the time, particularly the bass drum. But they tuned up great and still sound killer all these years later.

3. c0r1n

c0r1n Well-Known Member

One other note just about the glass glitter wrap itself... I did eventually notch the 12 inch tom because heads just would not go on. The thickness of the wrap was way more of an issue than the tape.