Tell me about DW 5000 kick pedals

Discussion in 'General' started by Grooovepig, Sep 12, 2018.

1. fun2drum

fun2drum Team DFO Staff Member Moderator

I like chain drive pedals and the DW 5000 is wonderful in my book. It's just right, adjustable from heavy to light, and whatever angle, etc., I want. It works in all genres I play from rock to blues. I don't experience any heaviness unique to the pedal. I did switch out the stock beater to an old school Gibraltar round felt one, which I've always preferred to the newer style options. I don't like to fight the momentum of a heavier beater with every stroke. It's been mentioned before that this may be what some of you who call the pedal too heavy are experiencing rather than the action of the pedal itself, and I agree with that. The only thing I could call a con would be its actual carrying weight and inability to fold up, but the build quality and feeling of stability make up for that. To those of you who say these pedals feel "too heavy", try changing out the beater and then playing around with the tension. If I remember right, both my DW's came with weird tensions out of the box and I had to dial them in to feel right.

2. Bri6366

Bri6366 Very well Known Member

I do remember him. My guess is that at the time, DW pedals out sold the other 2 brands...

He had more problems with DW in general. He had pictures of broken footplates. Now I don't know how you mange to break a footplate, but it was a problem the other two big sellers didn't have.

3. slinginit

slinginit Shake, bump, and shake again...

The current 2000 is closer to the original 5000 in feel.

4. theEZV

theEZV Active Member

I have an old single chain 5000 double pedal (even pre Delta-hinge) I picked up used online from Guitar Center for $100, actually in pretty good shape. I break it out every now and then to change things up. The DW beaters are ridiculously heavy however, I just use Yamaha felt beaters on my all pedals.

5. dangermoney

dangermoney Well-Known Member

I quickly dumped the stock rubber/felt tipped beater for the DW medium felt beater after seeing Steve Smith using one. Made a world of difference in the feel of the pedal for me ...

6. premierplayer

premierplayer DFO Veteran

I have a 5000 and a 7002, haven't pedal shopped in over a decade. To me, they are the baseline. One of these days I'll hit the lottery and get a 9002 :laughing6:

7. brya0125

brya0125 Well-Known Member

Seems to me like they keep on getting better. I had a vintage one from the nineties in horrible condition. The hinge had broken so I bought a DW replacement for $14. It felt great after that.
    I was browsing on the Guitar Center Used list and I saw one of the newest 5000 series turbo pedals in great condition for only $50! I bought it and it showed up in perfect shape with only some dust. It was heavier and sturdier, but seemed just as fluid as the old 5000 I had. I changed the beater as well. They have so many adjustments, and the tri-pivot toe clamp is a nice touch.

8. Tedd

Tedd Active Member

What parts are needed to convert a DW6000 single chain pedal to a strap drive? And where did you get the parts?

9. bigbonzo

bigbonzo DFO Master

DW pedals are the cat's meow! I love 'em. However, like others have said, it depends upon the feel your trying to get or are used to.

10. flamthrower

flamthrower Well-Known Member

I guess when everyone is discussing the 5000, they're referring to the turbo, not the accelerator, which has an even heavier feeling and can really slam the bass. I gigged with an accelerator for 25 years, no problems. I prefer the turbo though with a more natural feel and have an old 7000 which is now the 3000 which I highly recommend. I prefer the 7000 turbo over the 5000 accelerator. I currently also have the Mapex Falcon which I guess is considered a medium weight pedal although I use it without the beater weights. It has a foot board that's in between a long and short board. I've sometimes got a busy and heavy foot which seems to me can get a little loud at times so I'm considering a light pedal such as the speed cobra. I've always preferred a heavier pedal but things change.

11. Dave H.

Dave H. DFO Master

I have owned several DW 5000, A real Camco & a Floating Action plus the 9000 that I am using now. I just love the basic design of the pedal and have no problem using any of them though I really like the 9000 series bass pedals & Hat stands the best.

Slawman

12. michaelg

michaelg Very well Known Member

Much difference in feel between the double and single chain (6000) models ?

Really temped to try a 5000 or 6000 as I've never played a DW before and they are so highly regarded.

The 5000 looks like a heavy hunk of metal so that kind of puts me off it a bit as i tend to go for lightweight gear.

Always played cheaper Yamaha pedals (FP-7210A) for as long as i can remember, I'm very tempted to try an accelerator model, should i expect something very different in feel from the yamaha ?

Does anyone know the weight of the current 5000 ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  13. dwdave

dwdave Groovinator

I have a few.... I prefer the Turbo, I just like the feel of the round cam. There is an expensive but well worth it mod. Canopus makes a bearing that eliminates the triangle and plastic roller. It makes the pedal smoother and even more bullet proof.

Grooovepig likes this.
  14. michaelg

Whats the deal with the the big chunky heel plates on some of these pedals, don't get it, anyone like em ?

15. NickCesarz

NickCesarz Member

I don't find my DW5000 to be heavy, rather SOLID. I have the single pedal variant, love it. :happy2:

However, I did have the DW3000 double pedal and toured with it for three years. The bolt holding the chain to the pedal snapped multiple times. Hoping the 5000 will not suffer the same issue.

16. SteveB

SteveB DFO Master

I too have owned 5000's since the mid 80's. A word to the wise; unless it makes a real difference to you get the 3000 instead. Its basically the same pedal as the 5000 with a black paint job. You'll save $150. Mine are all sprocket style. I've just grown with the original Ippolito pedal, which was the first chain drive/Camco conversion that I had seen. Also still use SpeedKings once in a while.

That said I tried a number of new pedals and for the most part they had no resistance at all. The DW still has a good amount, especially if you set the rocker back a bit, putting the beater at about 60 degrees...feels better to me that way....more like what I'm used to with the Ludwig.

17. michaelg

The Pearl eliminator with strap + red cam looks like it would play very similar to the 5000 strap, anyone compared them for feel ?

Also I've noticed The 6000 pedals do not have the aluminium hex shaft that comes on the 5000's, i would imagine this is going to change the feel somewhat.

Shame the 5000 strap is no longer in production.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  18. 1up2dn

1up2dn DFO Veteran

I just bought a new 6000 strap pedal (6000nx) and with a felt beater (85gr) vs the stock DW beater (105gr) this pedal feels like my old camco gretsch strap pedal...which was what i was hoping for since I've had that gretsch camco since 1974! I also have the tama camco chain pedal, a gibraltar strap pedal and an IC 900....love them all...

19. Ray Dee Oh King

Ray Dee Oh King Very well Known Member

I love my 5000s. The heavier feel definitley comes from the beater IMO. I replaced the stock beaters with a Creative Percussion Elite Cherry wood beater and it's a beautiful feeling pedal.