Thoughts on 1st generation Yamaha stage customs

Discussion in 'General' started by dexter74, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:54 PM.

1. dexter74

dexter74 Well-Known Member

I may be in the market for a cheap - yet decent - kit to gig out and bang around.

I've read a lot of positive things about all generations of Yamaha SC, but am particularly interested in the first generation as they have 16" deep bass drums (16" is my max depth on bass drums) and they are plentiful and cheap.

Wondering what the consensus here is? Thanks in advance.

2. Tommy D

Tommy D Very well Known Member

How deep are the newer ones? 18"? I don't care for the older ones due to their deeper tom sizes and full length lugs.

The later models, especially the all birch shells, are nice because the shells are made of nicer wood, the lugs are individual (so you can cut down an 18" shell to 14" depth) and the mounting hardware is better.

3. dexter74

dexter74 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tommy. I believe they went to 17" deep bass drums after the first generation.

I'm also not a fan of deep toms. Maybe I'll find a later era orphan rack Tom.

4. El Larry

El Larry Very well Known Member

Check out the Yamaha Stage 2 kits from the mid 1980's. I have a kit, 14x22, 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, traditional depths. Made in Japan, mahogany and an inner layer of beech. The sound is really impressive.

5. snappy

snappy Very well Known Member

The ones that say
    "STANDARD" on the badge
    are great bang for the buck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 2:38 AM
  6. musiqman

musiqman Well-Known Member

I still use the 10” snare from the first Stage Custom series.

These are so solid build. Deeper toms (10x9 and 12x10 if I am correct) could be the only drawback.

Soundwise these are a drummers AND live engineer’s dream.

7. GeeDeeEmm

GeeDeeEmm Well-Known Member

My long-lugged, first-series Stage Customs were just not my cup 'o tea. The shell composition produced tones that were indistinct and not pleasant to my ears. That's not to say that some folks will like them a lot - in fact, lots of people do. I wouldn't let my experience stop anybody from trying them.

Otherwise, I liked the kit a lot. I like long lugs (and those look a lot like RC lugs), the chrome plating was nice, and I'm a huge fan of the Yamaha mounting systems. Some day for a project, it would be fun to find a first-series SC kit and replace the shells with something interesting. The SC lugs would be a great touch.

GeeDeeEmm

8. cochlea

cochlea DFO Veteran

There's a popular cover band in my area whose drummer uses a first generation set of Stage Customs. The funny thing is, the first few times I saw them at an outdoor venue, I assumed they were Yamaha Recording Customs because of the long lugs and great sound. I wasn't able to see the badges until a later show where I was able to get closer to the stage. Needless to say, I was quite surprised, but at the same time impressed.

9. rondrums51

rondrums51 rondrums51

Funny that you should say that. I used a house set of Stage Customs on a steady gig, and I had the same problem. You described it well: "indistinct." The drums lacked a fundamental note, and I could never get them to open up and resonate. They just sounded blurry. They drove me nuts. And I've been playing drums for decades, and I know how to tune them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 10:53 PM
    GeeDeeEmm likes this.
  10. gezz

gezz DFO Master

I dont know about first generation, but I own latest bang up to date... I also owned a maple custom absolute and the stage customs are EVERY bit as good sounding.. they are birch, have retro shallow Tom's and they sing.. the 13x14" has only 6 lugs but it makes not one iota of a difference.. they sound absolutely stellar.. I put a set of yellow emperors ( green at first but didn't care for them so gave them to a pals kid for his drumset..colortones IMAG0306.jpg ) and stock reso's and as good as a set costing 4 or 5 times the money...

kallen49 and GeeDeeEmm like this.