Thoughts on Rogers Super 10's?

Discussion in 'Vintage Venue' started by DanRH, Oct 30, 2018.

1. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Please clarify just what they are. Are they merely a COB Powertone with 10 lugs? Worth picking one up? BTW, I friggen love both my Powertones (wood and COB ).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. funkypoodle

funkypoodle DFO Veteran

Supertens are COS not COB, but a nice thick steel shell that's well made and has a nice tone. More than worth picking up!

3. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

The Superten is a ten lug snare from the Rogers Fullerton era, versus eight lugs on the Swivomatic era Powertone. Supertens were available in both wood and steel (not aluminum) in all standard sizes. I have not played the steel model, but I have a 5" and 6.5" in 10 ply New England old growth rock maple (no re-rings). The wood models are rare (especially the 5"), but you can find the steel models often on auction sites.

The verdict: I'm not a fan. I just don't like the dryness of a ten (or more) lug snare. My Supertens stay in the closet, right next to my wood and metal Dynasonics. :)

I love my wood Powertones!

4. idrum4fun

idrum4fun Very well Known Member

With respect to tommykat1's statements, I loved my SuperTen! I had the oval-badge version, around 1973-74. All original, except for heads and snare wires, which I purchased from Al Drew. Expertly formed bearing edges and snare beds, producing everything from good sensitivity with brushes to loud cracking back beats for rock! Here are some pictures of the drum, which I sold in January, 2016.

-Mark

Attached Files:

5. rondrums51

rondrums51 rondrums51

The steel shell super Super Ten is a marvel. The shell is really substantial, not wimpy like most of today's thin-shelled steel snares. Add in the Rogers strainer, the best ever made, IMO, and the internal tone control, and you have a fantastic drum. The attack is incredible, and so is the tonality and snare sensitivity.

6. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

As mentioned, I've never played a steel Superten, so I can't speak of their sound. I have only experience with wood Supertens. I have heard the COS version is outstanding. And, I might add, I've been close to pulling the trigger on eBay a couple of times!

2 Supertens 1.jpg

2 Supertens 2.jpg
    5x14 XP10 Superten.jpg
    Both Side View.jpg
    Both Slant Bottom.jpg
    Both Slant Top.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    drummer likes this.
  7. Powertone

Powertone DFO Veteran

TK, we share similar taste in our love for 8 lug drums vs 10 lug. I am also only interested in Covington built Rogers, so the whole Super 10 thing is lost on me.

That being said, those are some beautiful drums, especially that 6.5”!

tommykat1 likes this.
  8. jptrickster

jptrickster DFO Master

It has plenty of finesse and volume I can tell you that. I’m a Supra guy so that’s my go to 10 lug metal snare.
    It’s definetly a good bang for the buck and worth a try

9. tommykat1

tommykat1 DFO Master

Thanks, PT. Yep, the 8 luggers--and even the 6 lug Luxor--are my favorites. I'm currently gigging a Duco Luxor with original wires. Great, articulate drum for brushes and quiet sticking!

Speaking of XP10 models, the 5" is arguably the most rare of the Rogers snares, other than one-offs. They only made a dozen or so, and maybe another dozen 5" XP10 Dynas. This, according to John Cermenaro, the last Rogers employee, who shut the lights for the last time in July, 1984.

10. DanRH

DanRH Old guy, getting younger

Oh well, I got out-esniped!